Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
(01-03-2017, 06:40 PM)Canard Wrote: Oh my god! Can I send that picture to my contacts at the Region? That's absolutely insane. Sad

Catenary work here was supposed to start the week before the holidays, but was delayed a week or two - the guys will be there any moment!

I get the "but the trains are delayed" argument. I really do. But we can't be harbouring these bad habits. There has to be a cutoff - a firm, "no more softness" moment. I really thought that'd be January 1.

I would start by ticketing ubiquitously — at least two passes per day of the entire LRT route, ticketing every vehicle.

Then in February start having the bylaw officer just ride in a tow truck and tow every single vehicle.

Yeah, I’m just an old softie.

Actually, it’s amazing just how much enforcement is needed to change habits, which further reinforces how right you are about this. There is a service road at UW which has always been a fire route and officially unavailable for parking, but for years it was normal for cars to be parked along one side. I don’t know why but as far as I can tell enforcement was spotty at most and it was normal to have a line of cars all along one side. Then one year they decided to start serious enforcement. I remember watching them tow car after car every single day for months. They also posted many more signs advertising the fact that it was no parking and a tow-away zone. It took an amazingly long time for the row of cars to disappear. It was pretty funny seeing cars with their blinkers still on being towed. I have some sympathy for the first people to get towed because the de facto (not de jure) rules had changed, but little sympathy for the people weeks later who were still parking there.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit - by ijmorlan - 01-03-2017, 09:17 PM
[No subject] - by Spokes - 08-28-2014, 04:16 PM