Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
(10-31-2016, 04:58 PM)Canard Wrote: Marketer, on UrbanToronto, you said:

Quote:They built this station with two side platforms, to reduce the property impact at the mall.

...with regard to the terminus stations.

I don't understand; to me, the property impact is significantly greater with outboard platforms. A centre platform can be one "unit" wide (in theory). In reality it's probably 1.5 units wide. But outboard requires 2 units of platforms.

Or do you mean because the length of the whole thing is greater because the tracks have to spread prior to going in? And that's why there's a special super-compact No. 5 crossover at Conestoga?

If they really wanted to minimize property impact the station could have a single track and a single platform, and for that matter the last short distance of the line could be a single line. With a maximum frequency of one vehicle every 7 minutes, the last 3 minutes’ travel of the line could be single track. I’d probably take the double track closer than that to the end in order to avoid problems with increasing frequency but the station itself could certainly be much narrower than what they are building.

Actually I’m a bit confused what the second track is supposed to be for anyway. In TTC subway stations there are frequently two trains in the station at once, but since they’re at the same platform it’s no problem to board the next one slated to leave. Here with side platforms if both were in use it might not be obvious which one to use and it might be awkward to switch to the other one.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit - by ijmorlan - 10-31-2016, 05:38 PM
[No subject] - by Spokes - 08-28-2014, 04:16 PM