Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
(10-16-2016, 07:43 PM)midriser Wrote:
(10-16-2016, 08:50 AM)Canard Wrote: That 12 km/h sign is going to drive my OCD nuts every time I pass by it.  It's because of the curves (C12-3 and C12-4) immediately prior to it, but still... could we not have rounded this up or down to a nice nominal 5 km/h increment? Smile

That 12 km/h limit is quite an interesting quirk!

What's more concerning to me though is the 35 km/h signs past that and then the 30 km/h sign in the background. I suppose those limits are there to take into account the curve in the road and the resulting track geometry, but that seems very slow. The rest of the traffic along that stretch of King will be going 50 km/h (or at least that was the limit pre-construction, haven't driven there since then so don't know if it's changed), but the LRVs will be plodding along 15-20 km/h slower. How will we encourage people to leave their cars at home and try out our new system when it will appear so much quicker to drive? I realize that in the grand scheme of a journey a 15-20 km/h difference isn't that huge, but perceptions are such an important part of encouraging transit use.

The 25 km/h stretch along Charles between Manulife and Victoria is another one that seems unreasonably slow.

What I really want to see is how the signals work. Will LRVs always go first at a signal? Or will regular traffic get its green first. I have seen footage of other LRT systems where the LRVs don’t get priority. This will make a difference. Even if the actual speed of the LRVs is low, they will still have good performance overall if they can use their exclusive lane to pass traffic stopped at the red and then get the first turn to go at the light.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit - by ijmorlan - 10-17-2016, 09:41 AM
[No subject] - by Spokes - 08-28-2014, 04:16 PM