Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
(10-06-2016, 11:47 AM)Canard Wrote: I know the charts - but why are we buying 14 trains then if we think we can hit the same headway with far fewer? That's what I'm getting at. Just scale it.

I can suggest a few reasons, and they all boil down to "what are you willing to do in the short term that is not sustainable for longer periods of time?"

Running with no backups in case of vehicle failure.
Accepting more expensive (or delayed) maintenance and service, because you have to fit some activities into overnights or weekends that you could have otherwise done on a train that's not running on a given day.
Potentially more complicated train/staff scheduling, because all trains are running at peak time and none can switch in or out of service.

These are all things GrandLinq may be willing to accept for a couple of months.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit - by zanate - 10-06-2016, 11:56 AM
[No subject] - by Spokes - 08-28-2014, 04:16 PM