Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
(10-05-2016, 11:59 AM)Markster Wrote:
(10-05-2016, 11:47 AM)Canard Wrote: When doing this same left turn previously, I always questioned if I was allowed to turn Left on a Red, here, because it's One-way to One-way.  I vaguely remember this in driver's school as being "OK" but I hate doing it so I would never do it, and just wait for green.  The only times I've ever done it is when someone's behind me and I can see in my rear-view mirror that they're annoyed because I'm not turning, and then I'd very reluctantly do it.

It is absolutely legal!
I find excuses to do it whenever I can!  It's fun doing something out of the ordinary.
Also.... I may be that impatient person behind you.  Though, I try to keep my frustration contained inside, and not be a jerk.

The bike box being so far set back from the intersection seems to basically invite cars to drive through it and wait on the far side to try to make their left turn on red.

Quote:On a side note, as a cyclist, I would never feel comfortable using a Bike Box.  I'll always wait my turn in traffic.

Honestly, that bike box there feels particularly useless.  It is only useful for turning left from Caroline to Erb, but... where are these cyclists coming from that they would want to do that turn?  
*) If you're coming from the Laurel Trail, then the intersection already assumes you don't exist, as there is no sane(/legal) way to get to the bike box.
*) If you're coming down Caroline, then... you just came from Bridgeport? Why are you turning around? Shouldn't you be taking a different route to your destination?  
*) Did you come from Albert? There are less terrifying and hilly ways to get to King/Erb than going via Caroline.

Also, bikes don’t legally have to wait to turn left any more than cars do. They should be advancing far enough they can see traffic on Erb, and make the left as soon as it is safe to do so, regardless of the state of the traffic signal.

I will say I have occasionally been annoyed by somebody not realizing they should be attempting to make their turn. I think the issue is that we have very few left-turn-on-red locations in this city. In fact, I can’t think of any others. A place like Calgary is much different — their downtown is full of them.

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit - by ijmorlan - 10-05-2016, 12:35 PM
[No subject] - by Spokes - 08-28-2014, 04:16 PM