Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
(09-25-2016, 09:20 PM)Canard Wrote: Erb/Caroline.  I have no problems with this configuration of crossing lanes - in fact, I prefer the pedestrian islands, both as someone on foot, and as a driver.  If, for example, I want to cross as a pedestrian from the island over to Clay and Glass (to the left, here) - I just look to my right.  I make eye contact with one driver, and we agree when it's my turn to cross, I give a little wave, and life's great.  As a driver, I'm only having to look at two spots for people - on my left, and on my right, before proceeding.  If I see someone, I wait.  Way, way simpler than if you have to look in multiple places with people darting out in front of you everywhere.

I'm not thrilled by it, but I think I agree this is the best configuration. I would prefer that there was a direct crossing of Erb without having to cross to the island, but this would encourage turning traffic to stop on the tracks waiting for pedestrians. Also, your point about having to look only one place for traffic is a good one. Though this intersection is now complicated enough that we could borrow a trick or two from London:

[Image: 52105275.jpg]

I hope to see some good signage reminding those channelized right turners to yield to people wanting to cross to the island, otherwise it's going to be some long waits for gaps in cars turning. I didn't have any problem making eye contact and crossing on Saturday, but it's still new and there was no traffic pressure.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit - by zanate - 09-26-2016, 09:42 AM
[No subject] - by Spokes - 08-28-2014, 04:16 PM