Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
(09-04-2016, 11:10 AM)tomh009 Wrote:
(09-04-2016, 10:53 AM)timc Wrote: GRT bus numbers reflect the year and a sequential number.

Pre-2000 Kitchener Transit numbers were a two-digit year and a two-digit sequence (e.g. 9201 was the first bus of 1992).
If I recall correctly (it's been a long time ...) in the 1970s and early 1980s the buses were numbered consecutively, with no year coding.  These were the "old-look" GM buses in green and pale yellow (I think), and the first of the "new-look" buses in silver and orange (were those the colours?).
But I can't find any references or photos online.

According to the Kitchener Transit wiki page, the year coding began in 1985.

You can also find some photos here. There weren't any Old Look buses made in the 1970s; the GM buses from that era were New Look. Kitchener Transit buses from the 1970s were silver, red/orange, and white. The silver colour was dropped in the 1980s. I think if you go back to the 1960s and early 1970s you will find a sort of aqua and white colour. Although I did find this beauty (bus #28?) which seems to be a special Centennial red-and-white edition.

Anyway, this probably belongs in the GRT discussion, not ION.

I wonder if the numbering of ION trains will somehow be similar to GRT buses, or use a different system completely. Based on the way that buses have been identified, I don't think that you will find letters as part of the code, unless the data is going to be tracked in a separate system.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit - by timc - 09-04-2016, 12:35 PM
[No subject] - by Spokes - 08-28-2014, 04:16 PM