Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit

That moment where concrete ties become wooden.  I mean, I guess it had to happen somewhere.  I still find it strange they end up using both.

This is looking across King towards the passage that lets trains continue down the spur line.  I recall at the Spur Line Trail meeting, the city indicating their hopes that the rail line would be shifted slightly north (left in this picture) to allow the trail to continue through here.  The picture shows that there is indeed space (just barely), and you can see the tracks shift to the north side at the end of the passage, but are towards the middle in the foreground where they enter the passage.  Seems unnecessary to have them positioned there, I suppose they could still move, but it doesn't look like they will.  I am not surprised about this, given that the city is twice removed from those actually doing the work.

I did express my frustration at the idea in the original meeting.  I felt that even if the rails could be moved, the trail would be tight through there.  I felt that the "temporary" (now looking less temporary) "routing" of the trail down Regina and onto Willis Way should be considered permanent and room in the budget should be made to implement a proper trail connection that people would actually feel safe using.  I didn't think they should count on being able to actually move the freight alignment, although I suppose we still have some time to go on this.

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit - by danbrotherston - 08-17-2016, 12:06 PM
[No subject] - by Spokes - 08-28-2014, 04:16 PM