Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
(08-16-2016, 09:13 AM)kitborn Wrote: This editorial about LRT vs. BRT.

Until the passenger numbers go up for Cambridge to Kitchener, this may be a good idea.

From the editorial:
Quote:An express bus system could, in time, build the ridership numbers that would convince senior levels of government that Cambridge needs and deserves light rail.

Building ridership numbers seems like a spurious argument to me.  

For starters, Cambridge has 126,748 (2011) people.  Waterloo has 98,780 (2011) people.  I realize Waterloo has lots of students but many have little to do with the community.  They take GO buses to the GTA but relatively few go far from campus, which is unfortunate.

Before merging with GRT, Cambridge Transit had about 25 buses serving 90,000 people.   It was better than nothing but very little was done to encourage ridership. For example, there was no Sunday service.  And buses didn't run that often.  Memories linger and I doubt many people in Cambridge will be enticed to leave their car at home and hop on a BRT.  

BRT is not as sexy as an LRT.  So what happens if ridership numbers don't improve significantly?  Will Cambridge cancel BRTs and go back to regular bus service?  That would be a shame but it could happen.  

If you want to build ridership on public transit go for the full LRT, without delay.  There is ample evidence to show that once an LRT is built ridership increases fast.  

IIRC, both the Provincial and Federal governments are in favour of funding public transit.  Why Cambridge mayor, Doug Craig, is such a stick-in-the-mud is beyond me.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit - by jgsz - 08-16-2016, 01:44 PM
[No subject] - by Spokes - 08-28-2014, 04:16 PM