Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
(07-28-2016, 03:24 PM)KevinL Wrote:
(07-28-2016, 01:10 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: I am curious as to this particular issue, first, I'm not sure why a parcel is needed.  After all, a parcel is not needed for a driveway from a road to a parking lot at the front of these places.  Presumably, the trail could just connect to the properties in the same way.  I don't understand why a business would object to this either, would they not want to make their property more accessible to potential customers?

It comes down to, the Region or Grandlinq would be indicating one location on the Fairway side as the pedestrian crossing point. I can't see any private landowner allowing that given potential for liability (what if a driver in their parking lot hits a pedestrian that has nothing to do with a business there?) nor the Region allowing so informal a travel corridor. An official crossing point demands an official walkway, which by the logic above, must be on public land.

There are sidewalks through parking lots all the time, this one would just happen to be coming from a direction that isn't the same direction as the road.

And if there really are liability reasons, then we should fix those problems.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit - by danbrotherston - 07-28-2016, 05:32 PM
[No subject] - by Spokes - 08-28-2014, 04:16 PM