Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
(07-20-2016, 03:00 AM)Canard Wrote: Hang on a minute!
For most people, the "Pilot vehicle" will be indistinguishable from the finished train. Maybe the interior in all the modules won't be totally fitted out. Or the paint job may not be finished. Or a few exterior panels might be missing.
I think those kinds of things are exactly what BuildingScout meant.

Quote:What I don't fully understand is what/where Metrolinx is planing to play with their 2 Pilot trains. They have no trackwork that they can do so on anywhere in Toronto. All of their streetcar lines are built to 1495 mm gauge (1435 mm is standard) so they're incompatible.

It'd be nice if the Region and Metrolinx could come to an agreement to let them play with their trains here this fall. I'd personally be very happy with that. Big Grin
Back in ye olden times, there was talk that, since these are all the same vehicles anyway, that testing for the trains would happen here in Waterloo.  It's been a little muddy, what with they way they keep getting talked about in the press as completely different things.

I think this stratification of the PR into into "Waterloo LRT vehicles" and "Metrolinx vehicles" has just been a consequence of Waterloo Region press/politicians asking about the former, and Toronto press/politicians asking about the latter, and Bombardier telling them each about their own order in isolation.  
Waterloo gets told "Pilot vehicle in October, 3 months of testing, production vehicles in 2017." (I can't remember the actual dates, I just made those up)
Toronto gets told "Pilot vehicle this year, 18 months of testing, production vehicles in 2019."
In reality, it's "Pilot vehicle in October, 3 months of testing, Waterloo vehicles enter main production in 2017, pilot vehicle continues testing, any further issues found are fixed by the time the Metrolinx order begins production in 2019"
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit - by Markster - 07-20-2016, 10:38 AM
[No subject] - by Spokes - 08-28-2014, 04:16 PM