Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
Went for a 30+ km bike ride along Toronto's waterfront on Sunday, which has the added bonus that for part of the trail, you get to ride right alongside the 509/Harbourfront streetcar line, with streetcars zipping by!

One of the things I don't think I've brought up yet is just how fantastic the external annunciation system is on the new FLEXITY trams.  I'm so excited about this for ion.  Our trains will have the same vocalizer (or so I'm told), and the clarity and volume with which the line stops are announced gave me goosebumps every time I rode by one and heard her speaking.  Chills, even!

I know it sounds a bit silly, but one of my absolute favourite things about trains is the noises they make. Whether it's mechanical, or chimes or automated announcements or whatever. My mind was completely blown when I was in Japan (I knew it would be, and was trying to be prepared for it, but I couldn't help but almost tear up every time I heard the little 7-note JR chime before every platform announcement). So I have a lot of anxiety about ion "getting this right" with regard to what kind of voice they pick or what kind of chimes are chosen (it'll be the same as the Toronto FLEXITY LRV's - I'm OK with that).
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit - by Canard - 07-11-2016, 08:14 AM
[No subject] - by Spokes - 08-28-2014, 04:16 PM