Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
(07-09-2016, 06:53 AM)Canard Wrote: This has been a big problem in Sheffield, UK - of course now I can't find the news article, but a quick search on YouTube brings up a ton of videos of people running into issues crossing the tracks at shallow angles, due to the design of the suggested path that cyclists should take when crossing.  It's probably not helped at all by the UK's seemingly persistently-moist climate.  In some places, as a result of the accidents, they've painted ~0.5m wide solid green "Safe Path" stripes, with suggested paths that cyclists should take when attempting to cross the tracks.  I think this is a great idea!

Again... safety campaign?  I really feel like the time is right to start bringing some of these issues up.  4 months to first train movements.  Waiting until then is too late.  I'd be happy to host.  Do I have to make my own "ion Safety Channel" on YouTube?  Big Grin

You don't even have to go across the pond to see that problem, up the err...street...in Toronto, you have the same issue:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yz1wnLhguhU

But this is a problem faced by numerous cities across the globe.  The frustrating thing about it is there seems to be a technological solution, a rubber flange can be placed within the flange gap in the track, that can support the weight of a bike allowing one to ride along the track with no issue, but will be depressed by the weight of an LRT vehicle.  I seem to recall this being discussed, and the suggestion was that it wasn't preferred at intersections like this because it would apparently lead people to believe the tracks are not dangerous for cyclists, which I find to be a really poor excuse.  Although I suspect there might be other maintenance implications as well.

There are a number of other options as well, from sharrows to...well properly designing our cycling infrastructure, that would ensure  there aren't crashes:

http://www.streetfilms.org/cyclists-vs-rails-in-zurich/

I think the most important intersection to get right is Caroline and Erb, on account of it will have the greatest cyclist volume.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit - by danbrotherston - 07-09-2016, 09:32 AM
[No subject] - by Spokes - 08-28-2014, 04:16 PM