Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
(04-29-2016, 09:16 AM)zanate Wrote: Then, the mayor spoke about a situation with gates.

I didn't get an entirely clear picture but it seems there's a chance that strict rule interpretation is pushing us towards pedestrian gates for where ION is crossing sidewalks. So that would be on King near the town square, and then at the Caroline diagonal. There's a scenario the mayor mentioned where as many as 16 gate arms could be required at Caroline and Erb, firing off every three minutes. Bananas.

I've been thinking about this almost constantly since reading your post, and I just can't add up enough gates to come up with 16.

I always get confused on the Region's Rapid Transit site, since there are a couple of different versions of maps out, but only this one under the Archived Maps section shows the proposed crossing light/bell/arm locations, from way back at the conceptual stage (meaning, they were at least thinking about details like this, and the gauntlet tracks, etc...). It only shows 3:

For comparison, here is a more up-to-date version of this same area, from the Project Agreement documents (which, confusingly, are also available under the Maps/Functional Design Plans section), but unfortunately these do not outline the locations of light/bell/arms:

About the highest number of combined arms (for both automobile lanes and sidewalks) is around 10 or 11, and that's being quite liberal with them. Any ideas or theories on where the other arms Mayor D. J. was mentioning might be coming from?
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit - by Canard - 05-01-2016, 10:01 AM
[No subject] - by Spokes - 08-28-2014, 04:16 PM