Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
(03-13-2016, 08:02 PM)Canard Wrote: Ottawa is opening a short two-station section (I think) of their LRT first, for the Canada 150 celebration, with the whole system opening later.  When the Skytrain opened in Vancouver, they opened actually just one station first, and gave people rides for a few months out and back along the guideway, so they could try out the system until it was complete.

It would be my dream that something like that could happen here too, along the Waterloo spur.  Offer free rides between Northfield and R&T Park on weekends or something, just to at least give us something to experience and "preview" the system.  Since the FLEXITY Freedom testing is set to happen along this stretch anyway, I could actually imagine that happening!

That would be great. Perhaps it could even extend down to Seagram or the stop at Waterloo Town Square.

I have long thought that they should have started a mini service with just a single vehicle shuttling back and forth between UW campus and Uptown on a single track. I think that would have cut the legs out from under a lot of the nonsense that was spewed about LRT — there can still be differences of opinion, some of them even legitimate, but a lot of the outright incorrect facts wouldn’t have been tenable. Of course I’m aware the overhead costs for a single-vehicle service are rather large.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit - by ijmorlan - 03-14-2016, 06:02 AM
[No subject] - by Spokes - 08-28-2014, 04:16 PM