Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
(02-25-2016, 12:44 AM)Markster Wrote: That's a really good question.
Island platforms are commonly used at end-of-line stations, because it drastically simplifies things.  Passengers only need to wait on one platform, and the train will arrive on either side.
When metros have side-platform end-of-line stations, they tend to have one be the unloading platform, and then the train leaves the station, re-entering on the loading platform side.  However, that's clearly not going to be the case, as the tracks won't extend out past the end of the platform.

I can only imagine there will be confusion.  People won't wait on the platform until there's an train there. Or they will, and then walk right across the tracks when they find out they're on the wrong platform. Are they planning on having a train sitting idle at the end of the line at all times?  What about when there are two trains in the station, which platform are you supposed to go to?

At least the problem is (hopefully) temporary at Fairview.  Extension of the line south means that it's just a regular 2-platform station, which will be better for heavier loads anyway.  Conestoga however... is going to be that way for a while.

I suspect that it was not an operational choice. I think side platforms take up a smaller footprint (because the rails don't need to diverge) and the malls wanted as little impact to their property as possible.

My expectation is that only one platform will be used at each terminal. With the lowest headway being 8 minutes I believe there is no actual requirement to have more than one vehicle in station at a time. It seems standard in LRT design however to always have two tracks at a terminal station (impression based on what I’ve seen; I welcome correction from people who know about other systems). I remember the San Diego Trolley terminal at Santee actually has only a single track joining it to the second-last stop on the line, but right at the station it widens out to two tracks with side platforms. I recall that the second track was extremely rusted when I saw it.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit - by ijmorlan - 02-25-2016, 07:29 AM
[No subject] - by Spokes - 08-28-2014, 04:16 PM