Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
(11-15-2015, 01:24 PM)chutten Wrote: "Moving People" - Okay, yeah, you're not a transit authority, but this is pretty on the nose.

"Limiting Sprawl" - ...interesting choice. Not sure that directly follows, but I'll give you that you're increasing the people-moving capacity at the core of these towns, which supports increased denisty. However, it does not follow that the people who would develop and populate the "sprawling" developments would be more interested in developing or populating higher-density core developments. My guess is that this will attract additional developers and populations to the centre, while letting the existing sprawl continue as it would have without ion. This is not awful or anything, but isn't exactly what's being said. But I'll give them the benefit of the doubt on this one, since I don't have any figures backing me up.

"Protecting farmland" - whut. This is almost a non-sequitur.

Have these always been the mottos/goals/public-facing communication vectors of the ion project, or are they new?

The specific mottos in marketing are relatively new, but those have been core goals of the project since its inception. ION is happening because of the land-use goals of the Region of Waterloo, which seeks to limit sprawl and intensify the central corridor through hard urban growth boundaries and transit infrastructure to support and encourage infill growth.

It would be much harder to maintain the urban growth boundaries if there weren't viable ways to add capacity for more people and jobs in the urban core areas, and if there weren't the transportation infrastructure for more people to get around. But if ION does those things, the Region can maintain a hard line on limiting sprawl.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit - by mpd618 - 11-15-2015, 03:56 PM
[No subject] - by Spokes - 08-28-2014, 04:16 PM