Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
(08-31-2015, 10:07 AM)mpd618 Wrote: GO serves only the city centres, and is not likely to be better than hourly for quite some time. I'm suggesting a local route that's much more about connecting the areas on Victoria and Woodlawn with each other and with the two city centres.

As for demand, I think it could be there and it would also be a corridor that could be intensified. But the best way to measure demand is to create the route as a bus first.

I'm not sure what the draw is for this? Victoria leaving Kitchener and Woodlawn entering Guelph just aren't very attractive places to go. A lot of car lots, industrial storage and little commercial parks.

Maybe in 25-50 years when there's a lot more residential built along the current highway 7 this will have some demand - but I currently live along the route and just can't imagine ever using it. Even then there'll probably be a GO station in breslau and you could use it to get directly into the city centres quickly.

The nice thing about GO going to the city centres is that at least you have things there that are drawing crowds. Lots of close pediastrian friendly stores and activities. Plus they're already major hubs for local transportation so you can use the existing bus system to get around.

GO will probably be running fairly regularly on any time frame that is comparable to building an LRT line between KW and Guelph.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit - by SammyOES - 08-31-2015, 02:43 PM
[No subject] - by Spokes - 08-28-2014, 04:16 PM