Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
(05-29-2023, 02:00 PM)timc Wrote:
(05-29-2023, 01:39 PM)ijmorlan Wrote: Unfortunately providing really good resilience probably involves paying some drivers to be on call.

This is also a good reason to schedule a moderately excessive amount of service — if you need to cover a problem, lower traffic routes elsewhere can drop from every 5 minutes to every 10 minutes, for example. Also a good reason

This reminds me of a student project I once saw about providing transit within UW campus. If I recall correctly they proposed having a bus do a loop around campus a couple of times an hour, and costed it using averages of how expensive it is to run a bus for a certain period of time. The grader quite severely criticized them for implicitly assuming they could find drivers who would be willing to alternate 15 minute work periods with 15 minute unpaid periods all day.

Which is a good case, I guess, for an autonomous vehicle.

Maybe we could keep Route 2 just so GRT could keep some reserve buses around. When ION goes down, the route is cancelled. It works perfectly because only really 2 trips a day on that route are used.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit - by dunkalunk - 05-30-2023, 07:20 PM
[No subject] - by Spokes - 08-28-2014, 04:16 PM