Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
(03-09-2023, 11:21 AM)bravado Wrote: There’s all sorts of local trams right at ground level across the world. Is this a uniquely bad design in KW or just the unfortunate growing pains period?

I don’t go downtown much, but in terms of safety I was shocked by how many kids were crammed on the 1m wide sidewalk in front of KCI. Why aren’t our streets designed for the modes that actually move the most people?

The same thing happens on University Ave. near UW and Laurier (and Conestoga College). Honestly...it's revealing how badly our engineering department has failed MOST of the people in the city. And I do say most. Yes, most people drive, but most of those people are also failed by the system.

I don't think KW's system is uniquely bad...but transportation and safety in North America universally sucks.

FWIW though...there's a reason we have fought so hard for the 30km/h limit. With the tram travelling at 40km/h the kid has even odds of surviving (maybe better than even because they're young), at 30km/h, they'd have a 90% chance of surviving. Of course, he's just lucky it wasn't someone in a vanity pickup who hit him...they'd usually be travelling much faster.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit - by danbrotherston - 03-09-2023, 02:48 PM
[No subject] - by Spokes - 08-28-2014, 04:16 PM