Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
(08-17-2015, 05:01 PM)GtwoK Wrote: I'm trying to figure out how the Waterloo Park section is going to be laid out in the end, for the purpose of remapping it in Google Maps.

So the parking lot adjacent to the Seagram stop will be no more, correct? The technical drawings (page 14 and 15) seem to imply that, but yet they still show an in/out lane for vehicles that is connected to Seagram in that spot. Where is that supposed to be headed, if the parking lot doesn't exist? How will the trail be organized around this area? 
Eventually, the parking lot will be no more, at least according to the Waterloo Park master plan.
However, it's likely to continue to exist, until there is money for implementing said plan. GrandLink will restore access to the existing lot, such as it exists.
Quote:The Ion blog mentions that the "Central Drive" rail crossing will be removed which connects to the parking lot, and that a trail will be replacing it. The mentioned drawins show a staircase at that crossing — for what? There's no grade change here, why are there stairs?
At the south end of the future LRT platform, there will absolutely be a grade change to the path to the east. (up, in the drawing). The existing path on the east side is very low, and regularly floods during rainstorms.
Quote:"Central Drive" is also supposedly being rerouted to run along the east side of the tracks and connect to Seagram. The drawings make no note of this though, nor do the stop plans and renders. Where is it supposed to be connecting? My guess would be either where the eastern side of the trail meets Seagram, or in-between those 2 parking lots on Seagram. Interested to know which though, so that I can edit it in on Google Maps.
I don't believe that the master plan calls for this. I think the plan is to close Central Dr to traffic.
Currently, Central Dr is being detoured up the Laurel Trail, to the Curling Club's parking lot.
Quote:Also... "Central Drive"? The road technically does not exist according to the City's official GIS and plans — is it simply the road running from Central St to the parking lot? Does it include the section running from Young up to Central St, and/or the section from Young to the splash pad parking lot?
I would presume that it's just the section from Central, past the tennis courts, to the Seagram parking lot. But that's just a supposition.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit - by Markster - 08-17-2015, 05:59 PM
[No subject] - by Spokes - 08-28-2014, 04:16 PM