Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
(02-23-2023, 08:32 AM)ijmorlan Wrote:
(02-23-2023, 12:05 AM)Bob_McBob Wrote: I mean the process of getting them coupled while in service is complicated. Every pair of trains has to be parked and individually visited by LRV Maintenance while other trains bypass them. Once they're coupled, Control gives the two operators specific instructions. The operator of the rear train sits in the front cab and monitors the coupling. Before every station departure, they have to visually confirm there isn't anybody in the coupling area and relay this to the operator of the front train, who then has to explicitly confirm they heard before proceeding.

I still don’t get it. First you say that the answer to my question is the first alternative: “I mean the process of getting them coupled while in service is complicated.” Then you say that they have to do something before every station departure, which is the second alternative: “ Before every station departure…”. So it sounds like the answer to my question is, in effect, “both”.

So what is the plan when we routinely run pairs of trains? The reason for double trains is to save on labour costs compared to running them singly: the system can easily handle trains every 5 minutes in each direction, and could go more frequently than that with some adjustments to the operation of the crossing protection systems.

Indeed...that seems like yet another safety insanity policy on our system (just like running trains at 10km/h for two blocks, or running trains 10km/h below the speed limit between lanes of speeding traffic).

The problem with safety is that we are unwilling to actually make meaningful changes in safety. 95% of the incidents involving the LRT involve drivers failing to obey signage or signals. We could stop probably 10-15% of the collisions with the LRVs by restricting cross traffic at a handful of redundant intersections (Agnes, St., Mt. Hope., Pine St.). Instead we do nonsense like this.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit - by danbrotherston - 02-23-2023, 08:47 AM
[No subject] - by Spokes - 08-28-2014, 04:16 PM