Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
(01-10-2023, 01:45 PM)ac3r Wrote: The constant wheel slippage or whatever it is when the train is just riding along like normal even on a normal day on fairly level ground, starts to shake/make noise then the driver has to slam on the brakes and speed up again.

I've never experienced that, in spite of frequently riding ION.

(01-10-2023, 01:45 PM)ac3r Wrote: Then come first winter, we realized they couldn't make it up very minor grades.

And where did you hear that, specifically? All reported winter problems have been about ice on the catenary wires.

I ride ION frequently, including in the major snowstorms, and not one tram has ever had trouble on a slope. As I mentioned in another comment our steepest slop is about 6% on King St. W. just past the rail bridge from Central Station. Plenty of tram systems in similar winter climes to ours have 8% to 10% slopes and they have no problems going up hills. Not to mention that modern trams, ours included, have grit spreaders for winter weather.

(01-10-2023, 01:45 PM)ac3r Wrote: as a rapid transit system it blows and anyone who disagrees has no idea what they're talking about)

I'd say that same about you.

Except for these rare (if frustrating) incidents, ION LRT is clearing running far better than the busses it replaced, and pre-pandemic it resulted in a huge increase in transit use.

(01-10-2023, 01:45 PM)ac3r Wrote: too cheap to invest in good equipment and we went with Bombardier who have always been problematic.

No, they were not "always problematic". Thy were one of the biggest rail manufacturers on the planet before being bought by Alstom, and very popular with a good reprutation.

Serious cracks in the Bombardier façade did not appear until after the RMOW had committed to joining Metrolinx's contract.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit - by Bytor - 01-10-2023, 02:04 PM
[No subject] - by Spokes - 08-28-2014, 04:16 PM