Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
(10-28-2022, 01:01 AM)dtkvictim Wrote:
(10-27-2022, 11:43 PM)nms Wrote: Are both platforms typically used at Fairway and Conestoga?

No. I have never actually been to the Conestoga station, but only one platform is used at Fairway that I've seen.

But that got me wondering: Why do we have two platforms at Conestoga? Obviously Fairway has two platforms to handle being extended, but what's the reasoning for Conestoga?

On rare occasions it'll pull into the less commonly used platform. It's more frequent during rush hour when there's trains every 10 minutes though they don't actually need to do that from what I understand. I just know I've been waiting to catch it before and it pulls into the other side at Fairway Station and there's been a few times I've seen one train leave and another pull in to the other platform (which is odd since even during rush hour they're on a ten minute headway).

As for the reasoning at Conestoga...I have wondered that myself. Maybe they built it for future proofing for future expansion of the line. As we grow, we'll need additional LRT lines in the region. Or when train headways get frequent enough that it's just easier to have two platforms, rather than on switching the tracks over each time. Another reason may be potential mechanical failure of the switches. If one broke for whatever reason, then they could still be guaranteed to go all the way to the terminus rather than stopping at Northfield. ijmorlan also raised a good point re boarding, but I think the reasoning has more to do with future proofing.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit - by ac3r - 10-28-2022, 12:47 PM
[No subject] - by Spokes - 08-28-2014, 04:16 PM