Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
(10-28-2022, 01:01 AM)dtkvictim Wrote:
(10-27-2022, 11:43 PM)nms Wrote: Are both platforms typically used at Fairway and Conestoga?

No. I have never actually been to the Conestoga station, but only one platform is used at Fairway that I've seen.

But that got me wondering: Why do we have two platforms at Conestoga? Obviously Fairway has two platforms to handle being extended, but what's the reasoning for Conestoga?

I don’t know. It doesn’t make sense to have side platforms at a terminus if both are intended to be used for boarding trains: this is why all TTC subway termini have centre platforms, and this has almost always been true through the subway’s history (I believe the only exception is when the Bloor-Danforth subway initially opened between Keele and Woodbine, which are side-platform stations).

However, as long as only one platform is used for boarding it’s not a problem. What they actually do at Conestoga and Fairway I don’t know, but one possibility is to use the other platform for taking trains out of service: passengers can get out, but nobody is on the platform expecting to be able to board, and the train can sit for a while if needed before moving away. I believe this is done at McCowan station on the Scarborough RT: the eastbound platform is off-only and used only for trains going out of service.

What I wonder is why they double-tracked right to the end of the line. Given the frequencies at which the system is planned to operate for the foreseeable future, I don’t think a 1km single track section at the end of the line would make much difference to operations.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit - by ijmorlan - 10-28-2022, 12:33 PM
[No subject] - by Spokes - 08-28-2014, 04:16 PM