Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
(09-17-2022, 08:35 PM)dtkvictim Wrote:
(09-17-2022, 10:10 AM)danbrotherston Wrote: FWIW....dash cams in general are pretty trash. A base model GO Pro will capture a significantly better image for around the same cost as a mid-range dash cam, but have none of the "dashcam" features. It's nothing short of a failure of capitalism causing this--there's like two manufacturers of dashcam chips and sensors and rolling your own camera is difficult, so every dashcam just grabs one of these off the shelf components, and they're both trash.

I mean, I know nothing about the dashcam industry like you seem to, but I think I disagree with your conclusion. I have watched thousands of dashcam videos (bit of a hobby I guess), and these days I would say the average camera in a car qualifies as "good". Especially in the last few years, the average quality has greatly increased.

This footage is like pre-2010 Russian dashcam quality. The only real excuse for this quality is if they are cheaping on storage/retention costs with what looks like a ton of compression, though I would still disagree with that decision. If all of their platform and bus footage is the same quality, then that is probably the reason.

I mean...everything is relative, pre-2010 dashcams and LRT cameras are clearly much worse than the HD video you get from a modern midrange dashcam.

But if you compare it with the video you get from even the base model GO Pro (about the same price point)...you can see it's actually quite bad, especially with weak lighting and motion. I'm not an expert in the field but this is a pretty good summary: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4AnyhHl3_tE&ab_channel=LinusTechTips

Storage is cheap, even when using dedicated IPTV recording hardware and storage. The problem is they probably aren't doing this. They are probably using a custom built solution, one that has probably been in use for more than a decade (because you have to amortise the investment in a custom solution).
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit - by danbrotherston - 09-18-2022, 06:59 AM
[No subject] - by Spokes - 08-28-2014, 04:16 PM