Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
(05-24-2022, 10:25 PM)tomh009 Wrote: But there is still a Cisco Canada, and a Google Canada etc. They do need to handle some things locally, such as finance, HR -- and sales. (You are likely paid by Cisco Canada rather than the US corporate entity, for example.) So, there still is a Cisco Canada CEO, and a management team. It currently appears to be Shannon Leininger.
https://www.linkedin.com/in/shannonleininger/

Maybe she's not meaningful to you, but she is still responsible for the Canadian operation, and will likely work at the Canadian HQ.

Yes, I am paid by Cisco Canada, and we do have HR in Canada,. But finance, HR, etc are just business functions, not top leadership, and in the case of Cisco spread throughout the country.

I do know who Shannon Leininger is, as I get the Canada-wide emails, but as you can see from her LinkedIn history she's always managed sections of the sales operation. That hasn't changed, just now her sales region is all of Canada. For those of us outside of sales her influence is minimal, and consists mostly of feel-good emails.

Which is my point. On paper Cisco has a Canada HQ, as legally Cisco Canada has to be registered somewhere. But the influence that HQ exerts is approximately zero outside of sales (which is the exception in still being regionalized).

When people in this thread talk about Google moving their HQ to Toronto, I don't think they're asking about the corporate mailing address. They're asking about where decisions get made. I'm asserting that more decisions of significance get made at Google KW than Google Toronto, even if the corporate mailing address is Toronto. But that neither is really a centre a major corporate decision making, the real centre is Mountain View.

That's my point, a "Country HQ" is basically just a mailing address these days. So let's call it that, calling it an HQ greatly inflates its importance.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit - by taylortbb - 05-25-2022, 01:20 AM
[No subject] - by Spokes - 08-28-2014, 04:16 PM