Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
(05-08-2022, 11:59 PM)nms Wrote: I like the ambition!  I counted 71 new stations (not including existing ones that might be expanded in this scenario).  Omitting the additional kilometres between stations, this works out to between 2 and 3 new stations added each year over a 30 year period.  Are there transit systems in the world that add this kind of incremental capacity, a few kilometers (or stops) each year, or does it require a heavy construction phase of 5-7 years (after design is complete) which adds one new line, or at least a longer extension, at a time?

I note that the Crimson Line as drawn here has approximately the same number of stops as the TTC's forthcoming Eglinton Crosstown line which is partway through it's 12th year of active construction.

Don’t forget the Crosstown has a long tunnelled section which took years before actual rail construction could actually begin. Surface LRT should be much faster.

I don’t know if anybody does that sort of incremental construction, but it seems to me that surface construction should be able to be done like that. It’s not that different from regular road construction, and we have examples in town of doing it that way, such as the King St. reconstruction currently in progress.

By contrast, the frequently-mooted idea of doing that with subway construction (regardless of what kind of rail is being put in the tunnel) is obviously silly, because of the need to start and stop tunnelling.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit - by ijmorlan - 05-09-2022, 08:04 AM
[No subject] - by Spokes - 08-28-2014, 04:16 PM