Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
(03-13-2022, 08:47 PM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(03-13-2022, 08:15 PM)Bytor Wrote: That's Westlake Station on Seattle SoundLink's Line 1. It was part of bus tunnel that was completed in 1990. It was closed from 2005-2009 to be renovated for light rail. Busses continued to use it until 2019, though at progressively reduced amounts as LRT services increased.

Yes, that was one example I would have given, I believe Boston also had a similar situation at one point.

Plus there are many European cities which have transit plazas which include both buses and LRT.

I'm not suggesting that there isn't a cost to this, and transit vehicles can bunch. Stopping can be managed however, by having space for passing at any given stop, all actual BRT systems I'm aware of do this.

And yes, if we're talking about a short segment (say for example Duke St. from Frederick to Francis....just a random example) it's entirely feasible.

Yeah, Seattle definitely has that. Pretty weird to see a train and then a bus. I do not think Boston did this. The Silver Line looks like it should be rail but is actually bus, and it's super slow, and there's switching time from electric to diesel along the line. Not my favourite.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit - by plam - 03-15-2022, 06:19 PM
[No subject] - by Spokes - 08-28-2014, 04:16 PM