Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
(01-30-2019, 02:06 PM)timc Wrote:
(01-30-2019, 01:15 PM)Canard Wrote: And yes, they do ask the LRV operators to carry a shovel and broom on board, and they get out and shovel off the switches when they go by!

Aren't the switches heated?

I heard on the radio, I think Railterm was talking about installing heaters at various points. Perhaps at switches?

(01-30-2019, 08:38 PM)plam Wrote:
(01-30-2019, 02:06 PM)timc Wrote: Aren't the switches heated?

I heard on the radio, I think Railterm was talking about installing heaters at various points. Perhaps at switches?

I don't know about embedded switches, but the other ...ballasted, and non-embedded track switches all have heaters, I've seen/heard them running past while.
(01-30-2019, 08:38 PM)plam Wrote:
(01-30-2019, 02:06 PM)timc Wrote: Aren't the switches heated?

They had to put auxillary heaters in the some of the signal huts because they were too cold for the backup battery systems
Apparently the freight train went up the spur around noon today...? I thought they only used the track at night.
(01-31-2019, 01:56 PM)Bob_McBob Wrote: Apparently the freight train went up the spur around noon today...? I thought they only used the track at night.

While walking in to work this morning (around 09:00) I noticed the gauntlet tracks and corresponding signals were still set for freight.

I also thought the rule was freight at night only.

Although in truth with the signalling system they have, combined with the nature of the traffic, there is really no danger worth considering of a collision. But I thought there was an inflexible agreement with Transport Canada regarding the operating rules. It’s possible it’s not fully strict yet, since the LRT isn’t in passenger service.

We've talked about the lull in testing around 5pm. Just heard on the radio "all the operators are currently on lunch" at 5:20pm... so that would be it.

Chemtrain is heading south along the line right now!
I love all of the pics/videos that are here and on social media. I just want them running for real!
I have to wonder if the Chemtrain time-shift was due to to tonight’s extreme cold (i.e., get up and back before it dropped too much further). Cold can affect railways in strange ways, like rails pulling apart - I’m sure everyone’s seen the viral videos going around of tracks being “set on fire” in the Chicago area.
(02-01-2019, 03:40 AM)Canard Wrote: I have to wonder if the Chemtrain time-shift was due to to tonight’s extreme cold (i.e., get up and back before it dropped too much further). Cold can affect railways in strange ways, like rails pulling apart - I’m sure everyone’s seen the viral videos going around of tracks being “set on fire” in the Chicago area.

From what I've heard some of the Interlocking houses have been throwing low temperature warnings to the point that they've had to put auxiliary heaters in some of them
(02-01-2019, 06:17 AM)trainspotter139 Wrote:
(02-01-2019, 03:40 AM)Canard Wrote: I have to wonder if the Chemtrain time-shift was due to to tonight’s extreme cold (i.e., get up and back before it dropped too much further). Cold can affect railways in strange ways, like rails pulling apart - I’m sure everyone’s seen the viral videos going around of tracks being “set on fire” in the Chicago area.

From what I've heard some of the Interlocking houses have been throwing low temperature warnings to the point that they've had to put auxiliary heaters in some of them

Seems like a strange thing to mess up. How hard can it be to calculate the heating requirements for a standardized metal box? It would make more sense for a new house to have problems, given how complex it is.

I’m guessing they’re using electric heaters. A couple of 2kW baseboard units with a thermostat should take care of the issue. The signal hut should be airtight except for the door, and well insulated — again, much easier than sealing a house.
(02-01-2019, 07:58 AM)ijmorlan Wrote:
(02-01-2019, 06:17 AM)trainspotter139 Wrote: From what I've heard some of the Interlocking houses have been throwing low temperature warnings to the point that they've had to put auxiliary heaters in some of them

Seems like a strange thing to mess up. How hard can it be to calculate the heating requirements for a standardized metal box? It would make more sense for a new house to have problems, given how complex it is.

I’m guessing they’re using electric heaters. A couple of 2kW baseboard units with a thermostat should take care of the issue. The signal hut should be airtight except for the door, and well insulated — again, much easier than sealing a house.

Not to mention this is Canada, this isn't the first time it has gotten cold !!

I suspect it has to do with the condition of the track on the Spur Line (i.e. pure crap) and rails pulling apart due to contraction in the cold.
(02-01-2019, 08:28 AM)Rainrider22 Wrote: Not to mention this is Canada, this isn't the first time it has gotten cold !!

Right! Calculate and test the heat loss of the finished design, then at each installation take the coldest windiest day on record, subtract 10˚C and add 20km/h, and provide sufficient heating capacity to maintain temperature under those conditions. Very simple engineering, should not be a challenge.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »