Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
I just heard on the radio that they're running the trains all night tonight. Also there's a train containing VIPs somewhere along the track.

(01-28-2019, 08:38 PM)plam Wrote: I just heard on the radio that they're running the trains all night tonight. Also there's a train containing VIPs somewhere along the track.

I saw 511 heading south bound a few mins ago
(01-28-2019, 08:38 PM)plam Wrote: I just heard on the radio that they're running the trains all night tonight. Also there's a train containing VIPs somewhere along the track.

I think they're doing inspections which is weird considering the weather outside.
I was driving around downtown Kitchener earlier and it was surprisingly hard to see where the tracks were with the snow covering them since no trains had been by recently.
I passed through downtown about an hour ago. The northbound tracks were barely visible; the southbound had the drifts nicely carved into an LRV-shaped hollow, with the tracks just visible at the bottom.
There was a moment last night when I was riding home, waiting for a light downtown. I'd been fishtailing anxiously on the downtown street without any cycling facilities and with parked cars on either side. The guy who passed me to get to the red light thankfully gave me some space, but also struggled. And then, at the red light as we were both stopped and waiting, an LRV glided smoothly through the intersection seemingly without a care in the world.

Love it!!
Is there any amount of snow that would be problematic for the LRV to drive in?
For sure, at some point it would become impassable, like any vehicle.
I got the pleasure of watching an LRV climb up Charles toward Benton this evening... pretty neat how it looked with the blowing snow.
Trains in the snow look awesome!

0:34

(01-29-2019, 10:33 PM)Spokes Wrote: Is there any amount of snow that would be problematic for the LRV to drive in?

I suspect not an amount that we’re likely to see here.

But no, LRVs cannot tunnel through snow any more than any other train can Smile

hahah well of course.

Is there a snowplow add on that's available to strap on the front??
I suspect the plow would be attached to a maintenance vehicle in that scenario, not an LRV.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »