Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
(01-16-2019, 04:11 PM)trainspotter139 Wrote:
(01-16-2019, 03:07 PM)ijmorlan Wrote: What is “Island-Only mode”?

It is a mode where the crossing only activates when a vehicle enters the crossing island (the space that covers the width of the crossing) rather than by using its track circuits to gauge approach timing.

Thanks, that makes sense. So I assume they would have to creep up to the intersection until the protection triggers, wait for it to be fully enabled, and then enter the crossing?

Given that, why would police be needed? Whenever a vehicle is in the crossing won’t the arms be down?

(01-17-2019, 01:16 AM)ijmorlan Wrote:
(01-16-2019, 04:11 PM)trainspotter139 Wrote: It is a mode where the crossing only activates when a vehicle enters the crossing island (the space that covers the width of the crossing) rather than by using its track circuits to gauge approach timing.

Thanks, that makes sense. So I assume they would have to creep up to the intersection until the protection triggers, wait for it to be fully enabled, and then enter the crossing?

Given that, why would police be needed? Whenever a vehicle is in the crossing won’t the arms be down?

because during testing the crossings may act funny.
Somewhat better tonight. Still feels like the signals are triggering way too early. At least the traffic lights didn't get into a knot this time.

On a completely different note, I noticed that there was a contractor applying salt to the Waterloo Park station platform on Tuesday. I guess it's still a slip and fall liability to probably GrandLinq even if marked closed.
(01-17-2019, 04:36 AM)plam Wrote: On a completely different note, I noticed that there was a contractor applying salt to the Waterloo Park station platform on Tuesday. I guess it's still a slip and fall liability to probably GrandLinq even if marked closed.

This boggles the mind, the justification they gave for closing them was that they weren't going to be winter maintained.  So now they're closed just for spite?

Out of curiosity, was the contractor parked outside of a bike lane this time? I complained to Grandlink/Region a few weeks back when the bike lane (which was actually plowed) was blocked by grandlinq contractor.
I imagined the signs prohibiting people from being on the platforms was caused by people standing on them to film and take photos. People were getting waaay too close, probably making the operators nervous and making training more difficult.
(01-17-2019, 10:24 AM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(01-17-2019, 04:36 AM)plam Wrote: On a completely different note, I noticed that there was a contractor applying salt to the Waterloo Park station platform on Tuesday. I guess it's still a slip and fall liability to probably GrandLinq even if marked closed.

This boggles the mind, the justification they gave for closing them was that they weren't going to be winter maintained.  So now they're closed just for spite?

Out of curiosity, was the contractor parked outside of a bike lane this time? I complained to Grandlink/Region a few weeks back when the bike lane (which was actually plowed) was blocked by grandlinq contractor.

As you know, I'm pretty sensitive to people parking in bike lanes. The contractor was in a small vehicle (golf buggy sized?) parked on the platform, as I recall.

(01-17-2019, 04:13 PM)plam Wrote:
(01-17-2019, 10:24 AM)danbrotherston Wrote: This boggles the mind, the justification they gave for closing them was that they weren't going to be winter maintained.  So now they're closed just for spite?

As you know, I'm pretty sensitive to people parking in bike lanes. The contractor was in a small vehicle (golf buggy sized?) parked on the platform, as I recall.

I as well, in the previous instance, the contractor had unloaded the small vehicle from a large van with trailer parked in the bike lane. I'm sure you would have noticed if it was there Smile.
It seems as though all of the LRV's go back to the OMSF for some reason about 4 or 5pm, then come out for a few hours after that. I typically flip on the radio on my way home from work, and the last several days my drive home has coincided with when all of the LRV's do their prep to come back out, so I end up missing seeing them by the time I get home.

I wonder if something happened when they were parked for their break at Borden or at another station, and thus, they are to take their breaks inside the protection of the yard.
(01-17-2019, 06:40 PM)Canard Wrote: It seems as though all of the LRV's go back to the OMSF for some reason about 4 or 5pm, then come out for a few hours after that.  I typically flip on the radio on my way home from work, and the last several days my drive home has coincided with when all of the LRV's do their prep to come back out, so I end up missing seeing them by the time I get home.

I wonder if something happened when they were parked for their break at Borden or at another station, and thus, they are to take their breaks inside the protection of the yard.

It sounds like a second shift of LRT testing per day to me?
(01-17-2019, 06:40 PM)Canard Wrote: It seems as though all of the LRV's go back to the OMSF for some reason about 4 or 5pm, then come out for a few hours after that.  I typically flip on the radio on my way home from work, and the last several days my drive home has coincided with when all of the LRV's do their prep to come back out, so I end up missing seeing them by the time I get home.

Nap time.
(01-17-2019, 07:41 PM)plam Wrote: It sounds like a second shift of LRT testing per day to me?

Well, that'd be a pretty short second shift then, since they wrap it up around 9pm (ie, last train is back to bed by 9). So a 3 hour shift for a new crew? That's pretty short...

I wonder what the next big "event" will be, all we've been doing for months is 4 trains out at most at a time, operator training. Hopefully more trains out, and finally being allowed to break the 50 km/h limit?
(01-17-2019, 09:20 PM)Canard Wrote:
(01-17-2019, 07:41 PM)plam Wrote: It sounds like a second shift of LRT testing per day to me?

Well, that'd be a pretty short second shift then, since they wrap it up around 9pm (ie, last train is back to bed by 9).  So a 3 hour shift for a new crew?  That's pretty short...

I wonder what the next big "event" will be, all we've been doing for months is 4 trains out at most at a time, operator training.  Hopefully more trains out, and finally being allowed to break the 50 km/h limit?

They were testing signal blocks yesterday with 511 and 512 (first just 511 with a simulated train) so it's possible that they could lift the limit sometime soon.

I wonder if they have been avoiding doing operator training during the "rush hour" time frame?
That actually sounds entirely plausible!

To be honest, I’m amazed we’ve had nearly a year of (very limited) operations under our belt without a single LRV-Pedestrian or LRV-Automobile conflict yet. Houston had 70+ Accidents the first year.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »