Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
From the Record's piece on the Ion "open house", a classic bit of Kitchenerese from a Kitchener senior:

"Now we understand better the project," she said.

Sadly, I think Kitchenerese is slowly disappearing.

Wink

(11-25-2018, 10:07 AM)panamaniac Wrote: From the Record's piece on the Ion "open house", a classic bit of Kitchenerese from a Kitchener senior:

Wink

Kitchenerese, eh?  I heard someone say that the faster they work the behinder they get.
Something new I just spotted today: the far end exits on the platforms at Kitchener Market and Frederick (and presumably Borden and GR Hospital) have wide red signs reading 'emergency exit only'.

So these won't be getting curb cuts after all, it seems.
(11-25-2018, 10:20 AM)jgsz Wrote:
(11-25-2018, 10:07 AM)panamaniac Wrote: From the Record's piece on the Ion "open house", a classic bit of Kitchenerese from a Kitchener senior:

Wink

Kitchenerese, eh?  I heard someone say that the faster they work the behinder they get.

I think you would find that if they interviewed more senior representation from Waterloo you would have gotten much of the same response.  It isnt a Kitchener thing.  It is a generational thing...  I am an old guy who grew up and lives in Kitchener, I dont have the same thoughts,.  I participated with the original planning work shops, I have attended open houses, I have voted for government that supports transit infrastructure.  So my point is this, if you are aiming at people from Kitchener being closed minded or mentally slow, try again please.
(11-25-2018, 01:14 PM)Rainrider22 Wrote:
(11-25-2018, 10:20 AM)jgsz Wrote: Kitchenerese, eh?  I heard someone say that the faster they work the behinder they get.

I think you would find that if they interviewed more senior representation from Waterloo you would have gotten much of the same response.  It isnt a Kitchener thing.  It is a generational thing...  I am an old guy who grew up and lives in Kitchener, I dont have the same thoughts,.  I participated with the original planning work shops, I have attended open houses, I have voted for government that supports transit infrastructure.  So my point is this, if you are aiming at people from Kitchener being closed minded or mentally slow, try again please.

That was not remotely the point.  It relates to Kitchener's (and, OK, Waterloo"s) heritage and it was intended to be good-humoured and affectionate.
(11-25-2018, 12:05 PM)KevinL Wrote: Something new I just spotted today: the far end exits on the platforms at Kitchener Market and Frederick (and presumably Borden and GR Hospital) have wide red signs reading 'emergency exit only'.

What about people in wheelchairs who need to make an emergency exit?

What a load of BS. They realized they needed to print signs, but didn’t realize that it is idiotic to have the stops be single-ended.

Fortunately, I think our citizenry still have enough initiative and sass to ignore such stupidity and exit from the stop in the direction that is convenient for them.

(11-25-2018, 01:48 PM)ijmorlan Wrote:
(11-25-2018, 12:05 PM)KevinL Wrote: Something new I just spotted today: the far end exits on the platforms at Kitchener Market and Frederick (and presumably Borden and GR Hospital) have wide red signs reading 'emergency exit only'.

What about people in wheelchairs who need to make an emergency exit?

What a load of BS. They realized they needed to print signs, but didn’t realize that it is idiotic to have the stops be single-ended.

Fortunately, I think our citizenry still have enough initiative and sass to ignore such stupidity and exit from the stop in the direction that is convenient for them.

Yeah, so many of the stations, I think, there's no way people thought about this for more than a few minutes.
(11-25-2018, 01:22 PM)panamaniac Wrote:
(11-25-2018, 01:14 PM)Rainrider22 Wrote: I think you would find that if they interviewed more senior representation from Waterloo you would have gotten much of the same response.  It isnt a Kitchener thing.  It is a generational thing...  I am an old guy who grew up and lives in Kitchener, I dont have the same thoughts,.  I participated with the original planning work shops, I have attended open houses, I have voted for government that supports transit infrastructure.  So my point is this, if you are aiming at people from Kitchener being closed minded or mentally slow, try again please.

That was not remotely the point.  It relates to Kitchener's (and, OK, Waterloo"s) heritage and it was intended to be good-humoured and affectionate.

Thanks.
(11-25-2018, 01:22 PM)panamaniac Wrote:
(11-25-2018, 01:14 PM)Rainrider22 Wrote: I think you would find that if they interviewed more senior representation from Waterloo you would have gotten much of the same response.  It isnt a Kitchener thing.  It is a generational thing...  I am an old guy who grew up and lives in Kitchener, I dont have the same thoughts,.  I participated with the original planning work shops, I have attended open houses, I have voted for government that supports transit infrastructure.  So my point is this, if you are aiming at people from Kitchener being closed minded or mentally slow, try again please.

ok sorry,  sometimes content can be taken out of context without the intonation and inflection of voice...
(11-25-2018, 01:48 PM)ijmorlan Wrote: Fortunately, I think our citizenry still have enough initiative and sass to ignore such stupidity and exit from the stop in the direction that is convenient for them.

Yeah! That’s the spirit. God forbid pedestrians actually follow the rules like everyone else.

And people wonder why pedestrians get injured or killed around Light Rail...

(11-26-2018, 10:24 AM)Canard Wrote:
(11-25-2018, 01:48 PM)ijmorlan Wrote: Fortunately, I think our citizenry still have enough initiative and sass to ignore such stupidity and exit from the stop in the direction that is convenient for them.

Yeah! That’s the spirit. God forbid pedestrians actually follow the rules like everyone else.

Pedestrians, like drivers, and cyclists, and all other human beings, are far more likely to follow the rules when the rules make sense and accommodate the common use cases.  If the rules aren't being followed by most people, the design probably hasn't made the rules clear, or they don't make any sense.

(11-26-2018, 10:24 AM)Canard Wrote:

Another not-on-point response to what I said. In the video the pedestrian is clearly just not watching.

In the places we’re talking about, signs have been installed telling people not to use perfectly viable routes to/from LRT platforms, rather than properly painting them and installing appropriate curb cuts. The same people that watch carefully when they use designed-in accesses will likely also do so when using the unofficial accesses; and the same people who use the unofficial accesses dangerously will probably also cross dangerously at official LRT and non-LRT crossing points.

Minor point: in at least some cases the unofficial accesses are probably narrower than they would have been if they had been designed in. For example, the other access to the stop on Frederick St. is narrow; but still useable by anybody who exercises due care, caution, and awareness of the situation. In other cases, there is nothing wrong with the unofficial accesses at all other than that they are unofficial. For example, the north end of the Grand River stop.

God forbid authorities actually do their job properly like everyone else.

Well, OK, most jobs aren’t done “properly” but I think the point stands.
(11-26-2018, 10:58 AM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(11-26-2018, 10:24 AM)Canard Wrote: Yeah! That’s the spirit. God forbid pedestrians actually follow the rules like everyone else.

Pedestrians, like drivers, and cyclists, and all other human beings, are far more likely to follow the rules when the rules make sense and accommodate the common use cases.  If the rules aren't being followed by most people, the design probably hasn't made the rules clear, or they don't make any sense.

Or they are simply inconvenient.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »