Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
(11-09-2018, 03:28 PM)tomh009 Wrote: It's all right, it'll be here in a couple of years from now for sure! Wink

*cries*...

You know, it's ironic, transportation was a big part of the reason I chose to stay here, and transportation is a big part of the reason I will likely leave. But at the time I chose to stay, I wouldn't have thought that, it's so implicit in our world.

Light rail, back in 2008/2009, was what first got me to think of the region as not just another small university suburb, it gave me hope, and without it I likely never would have wound up staying in the region, or being on a forum like this.
Tongue 
@ comment in 2010 expecting LRT to start in a couple of years...

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/PersonalCrispA...ax-1mb.gif
(11-09-2018, 05:08 PM)Viewfromthe42 Wrote: Light rail, back in 2008/2009, was what first got me to think of the region as not just another small university suburb, it gave me hope, and without it I likely never would have wound up staying in the region, or being on a forum like this.

And on that note I think it's important to remember that, despite how crappy this newest delay is, Waterloo Region will be leagues ahead of any comparable Canadian municipality in terms of transit investment by this time next year. That is something to be very proud of in my opinion.  We can always do better, and we should strive to do so, but we should also not lose sight of our accomplishments.
(11-09-2018, 02:44 PM)Pheidippides Wrote: Back in 2009 when the preferred mode was picked they thought the opening was going to be 2014:
“Opening 2014”
June 2009 - RAPID TRANSIT ENVIRONMENTAL ASSESSMENT PHASE 2, STEP 3b – PREFERRED RAPID TRANSIT SYSTEM OPTION AND STAGING PLAN
http://rapidtransit.regionofwaterloo.ca/...df#page=23

Fast-forward to 2012 when the LRV contract was awarded it had become was “early 2017”:
“Based on light rail ridership forecast, 14 light rail vehicles (LRVs) will be required to provide service in early 2017.”
June 2012 - STAGE 1 LIGHT RAIL TRANSIT: VEHICLE PROCUREMENT
http://rapidtransit.regionofwaterloo.ca/...pdf#page=1

It wasn’t until much later that “late 2017” started to appear in reports.

Thanks for the post...I really thought I was losing my mind that the original wording was early 2017...
(11-09-2018, 07:12 PM)jeffster Wrote:
(11-09-2018, 02:44 PM)Pheidippides Wrote: Fast-forward to 2012 when the LRV contract was awarded it had become was “early 2017”:
“Based on light rail ridership forecast, 14 light rail vehicles (LRVs) will be required to provide service in early 2017.”
June 2012 - STAGE 1 LIGHT RAIL TRANSIT: VEHICLE PROCUREMENT
http://rapidtransit.regionofwaterloo.ca/...pdf#page=1

It wasn’t until much later that “late 2017” started to appear in reports.

Thanks for the post...I really thought I was losing my mind that the original wording was early 2017...

However … at that point there was no fixed construction plan yet. So they were looking for vehicle availability in early 2017, just in case they were able to finish construction by that time. As it happened, construction started much later and really wasn't done until late 2017 or mid-2018, depending on how you count.
(11-10-2018, 04:03 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(11-09-2018, 07:12 PM)jeffster Wrote: Thanks for the post...I really thought I was losing my mind that the original wording was early 2017...

However … at that point there was no fixed construction plan yet. So they were looking for vehicle availability in early 2017, just in case they were able to finish construction by that time. As it happened, construction started much later and really wasn't done until late 2017 or mid-2018, depending on how you count.

Depends, for sure. Though, wasn't the actual construction of the line itself finish on-time or ahead of schedule, or likely I am mistaken?

They were about one or two months behind on substantial completion, which nobody really blinked at because it was relatively on-time. They did a fantastic job.
(11-10-2018, 04:48 PM)Canard Wrote: They were about one or two months behind on substantial completion, which nobody really blinked at because it was relatively on-time. They did a fantastic job.

Alright, that's what I kinda thought. I think it was this that I was expecting to get behind schedule, especially considering that winter sometimes starts early or finishes late or both.
(11-10-2018, 05:47 PM)jeffster Wrote:
(11-10-2018, 04:48 PM)Canard Wrote: They were about one or two months behind on substantial completion, which nobody really blinked at because it was relatively on-time. They did a fantastic job.

Alright, that's what I kinda thought. I think it was this that I was expecting to get behind schedule, especially considering that winter sometimes starts early or finishes late or both.

Right. My point was that back in 2012 they didn't have a construction schedule yet, so the goal was to make sure the trains were ready before the earliest possible construction completion date.
(11-10-2018, 05:54 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(11-10-2018, 05:47 PM)jeffster Wrote: Alright, that's what I kinda thought. I think it was this that I was expecting to get behind schedule, especially considering that winter sometimes starts early or finishes late or both.

Right. My point was that back in 2012 they didn't have a construction schedule yet, so the goal was to make sure the trains were ready before the earliest possible construction completion date.

Sure they had a construction schedule back then; it wasn't detailed to the point of specific hours of specific days, but they had a general timeline and phasing:
• "2014: begin construction of LRT Stage 1; and"
• "2017: complete construction and begin operation of LRT Stage 1."
• "Phase 2 properties is required by the Region on or about June 30, 2013."

They also had the functional drawings, were expropriating property, and arranging for utility relocation/upgrades.
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.

Especially given the delays: King St. corduroy road discovery, the famous tent at the grade separation, and the fire at the OMSF. The project ran into a few setbacks, but still ended up pretty much on time. The late opening isn’t due to Grandlinq’s construction timing.
(11-10-2018, 08:19 PM)Pheidippides Wrote: Sure they had a construction schedule back then; it wasn't detailed to the point of specific hours of specific days, but they had a general timeline and phasing:
• "2014: begin construction of LRT Stage 1; and"
• "2017: complete construction and begin operation of LRT Stage 1."

And that does not say "early 2017". The word "early" only appears in connection with the LRT ridership forecast.

Woolwich Observer again...
[Image: 866ED9a.png]
Would it be too meta to make that cartoon the fourth panel?

The best jokes are the ones that surprise. This one did not.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »