Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
Saw 505 kissing 506 on Charles an hour ago. ❤️

(10-11-2018, 03:55 PM)Canard Wrote: Saw 505 kissing 506 on Charles an hour ago. ❤️

I saw two of them roll by Charles while I was heading east on Stirling... too far and too fast to get a picture but it was neat.
Will 512 be the second train that has the Metrolinx equipment installed, after 511? Have any been completed in the region yet?

(Yes, we have now confirmed it's Metrolinx equipment, so let's call a spade a spade.)
(10-11-2018, 05:07 PM)tomh009 Wrote: Will 512 be the second train that has the Metrolinx equipment installed, after 511? Have any been completed in the region yet?

(Yes, we have now confirmed it's Metrolinx equipment, so let's call a spade a spade.)

The 3 that were being worked on here should be complete by now. Of course, we probably won't know for sure until they make an appearance out on the line again.
Spotted on the Frederick platform tonight.

[Image: ecsdDcz.jpg]
(10-11-2018, 09:51 PM)KevinL Wrote: Spotted on the Frederick platform tonight.

[Image: ecsdDcz.jpg]
Woops someone left that in maintenance mode
1234#

511 is out today!
As are 505 and 507 in tandem.
It seems like an LRV has stalled at Northfield Station. As such, Northfield is backed up to Skylark.
(10-12-2018, 03:18 PM)D40LF Wrote: It seems like an LRV has stalled at Northfield Station. As such, Northfield is backed up to Skylark.

That must be 511. It looks as if they're trying to work out some bugs in the new equipment today.
(10-12-2018, 03:18 PM)D40LF Wrote: It seems like an LRV has stalled at Northfield Station. As such, Northfield is backed up to Skylark.

I doubt it was stalled, there's long periods of waiting around during the early portions of testing, and to the best of my knowledge this was it's first test day and it's the first vehicle to have all the communications and automated train protection gear installed so this would have been a whole new category of testing.

Regardless, if they were planning to park it there they should have had a signal tech out to ensure it wasn't causing a traffic blockage on Northfield, so that's still a failure of sorts.  :-(
(10-12-2018, 05:11 PM)KevinT Wrote:

I doubt it was stalled, there's long periods of waiting around during the early portions of testing, and to the best of my knowledge this was it's first test day and it's the first vehicle to have all the communications and automated train protection gear installed so this would have been a whole new category of testing.

Regardless, if they were planning to park it there they should have had a signal tech out to ensure it wasn't causing a traffic blockage on Northfield, so that's still a failure of sorts.  :-(

Is that equipment you referred to the so-called Metrolinx equipment?

It's the equipment that was missing in all the other vehicles so far. Position reporting and related Automatic Train Protection, video, voice, and data communications, wayside equipment control, etc.

My best guess is that the region spec'd and obtained it themselves after Metrolinx' stalling during their attempts to break the Bombardier contract in favour of Alstom, but I really don't know. Maybe Metrolinx eventually inked their spec and we just went with it. It's been called the 'Specialized Equipment' by Tom Galloway in the press, and the Free Issue Equipment by those familiar with industry lingo.

Whatever you want to call it, it's finally all here in 511 and a whole new phase of the testing has begun. Huzzah! Smile

Edited 2018-10-16 to correct "Field Issued Equipment" to "Free Issue Equipment". D'oh!
There are trains are out today Smile
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »