Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
It is a major part of it, but even if all the trains were here, there are a handful of other significant issues that need to be resolved, and rely on a lot of cooperation of outside partners.

I don't want to make this into "wow we're really behind schedule" thing, but when the project was first announced was it late 2017 or early 2018 that was the target completion date?
(10-10-2018, 11:02 AM)trainspotter139 Wrote:
(10-10-2018, 10:36 AM)Rainrider22 Wrote: What happened to our page count for this thread ?  It is now at 1277.  We were waiting to see how long to crack 1000  !!!

The posts per page changed for some reason

Hmmm. It's set to 10 now, I'm pretty sure it used to be 15. Spokes?
(10-10-2018, 01:55 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(10-10-2018, 11:02 AM)trainspotter139 Wrote: The posts per page changed for some reason

Hmmm. It's set to 10 now, I'm pretty sure it used to be 15. Spokes?

Yes, I changed it to 10, trying some things.
(10-10-2018, 12:41 PM)Spokes Wrote: How many more trains are we waiting on to arrive?  I assume a lot has to do with that.

I believe we are waiting for 501 (re-delivery), 510, 512 (apparently en route), 513, and 514.
(10-10-2018, 02:51 PM)Spokes Wrote:
(10-10-2018, 01:55 PM)tomh009 Wrote: Hmmm. It's set to 10 now, I'm pretty sure it used to be 15. Spokes?

Yes, I changed it to 10, trying some things.

OK, at least it's intentional! Smile
(10-10-2018, 12:53 PM)Spokes Wrote: I don't want to make this into "wow we're really behind schedule" thing, but when the project was first announced was it late 2017 or early 2018 that was the target completion date?

Target completion date was "Fall 2017".

(10-10-2018, 03:09 PM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(10-10-2018, 12:53 PM)Spokes Wrote: I don't want to make this into "wow we're really behind schedule" thing, but when the project was first announced was it late 2017 or early 2018 that was the target completion date?

Target completion date was "Fall 2017".

That's what I was remembering.  Thanks!
Saw a double train on Duke Street today.

Gah that looks so good. I wish we could have double-length trains right from the start!
I want the first run to just be all the trains hooked together. And blaring ABBA or something.
Speaking of double trains, I've been wondering about the plans for that. Will the timeline remain the same, or be shifted to be later due to the late opening of service?
And you got lovely photos, as well. Thanks for sharing!

(10-10-2018, 10:26 AM)timc Wrote:
(10-10-2018, 09:31 AM)danbrotherston Wrote: For exactly that reason.

Huh. That's exactly the reason I would announce it before an election.

Just three weeks ago, we were told that things were still on track for December. I know that I don't like being lied to. If it is already known that that is not going to happen, then the public should be informed. As the saying goes, "a well-informed electorate is a prerequisite to democracy."

I don't think politicians are known for their honesty. While I am hopeful that it will be ready in December (which could mean December 31), I don't think we'll be seeing it before the end of winter (as in before the May long weekend, in political speak).

If they were to tell us now that it will be ready in spring (which, in political speak is anytime before the Canada Day long weekend), a lot of politicians could potentially lose their re-election bid. If they tell us after the election, then everyone has 4 years to cool off, and perhaps 3 years to see the LRT in action and 2022 won't be such an issue.
(10-10-2018, 05:33 PM)jeffster Wrote: If they were to tell us now that it will be ready in spring (which, in political speak is anytime before the Canada Day long weekend) (…)

Technically, the spring equinox (20 March) is the first day of spring, and the summer solstice (21 June) is the first day of summer. Smile Even if those dates don't quite match our seasons in practice.

That said, I'm hoping that Canard is wrong this time and we are not that far away from operation.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »