Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
Today around 12:15 p.m. I was driving southeast on King and there was a multi-vehicle accident ahead of me just past Pine St in front of Grand River Hospital. Nobody knew quite how to proceed until a car took to the tracks to get around the blockage, followed by a bus and several more cars. When my turn came I turned left onto Pine instead -- I just couldn't get myself to drive on the tracks, even though I knew from the radio that all the LRVs were on lunch break. Of course even then I was breaking a law, as the intersection is signed No Lefts. An alternative was to turn right into the Emergency parking lot and turn around in there, then either head across to Pine or turn left/northwest onto King, but the Emerg lot looked busy and I didn't want to interfere with any genuine emergencies. Per the radio it cleared up in 10 minutes, but it was quite a messy hiccup for the time that it lasted.

I think that the accident drivers could simply have moved ahead and into the hospital garage driveway before getting out to swap their insurance details, much like when you have an accident on a 400 series highway and are advised to move immediately to the shoulder if at all possible, but sadly as near as I could tell they just got out and stood around blocking traffic while waiting for the police to arrive. Perhaps this should be part of the ION educational campaign?

(09-25-2018, 05:34 PM)KevinT Wrote: Today around 12:15 p.m. I was driving southeast on King and there was a multi-vehicle accident ahead of me just past Pine St in front of Grand River Hospital.  Nobody knew quite how to proceed until a car took to the tracks to get around the blockage, followed by a bus and several more cars.  When my turn came I turned left onto Pine instead -- I just couldn't get myself to drive on the tracks, even though I knew from the radio that all the LRVs were on lunch break.  Of course even then I was breaking a law, as the intersection is signed No Lefts.  An alternative was to turn right into the Emergency parking lot and turn around in there, then either head across to Pine or turn left/northwest onto King, but the Emerg lot looked busy and I didn't want to interfere with any genuine emergencies.  Per the radio it cleared up in 10 minutes, but it was quite a messy hiccup for the time that it lasted.

I think that the accident drivers could simply have moved ahead and into the hospital garage driveway before getting out to swap their insurance details, much like when you have an accident on a 400 series highway and are advised to move immediately to the shoulder if at all possible, but sadly as near as I could tell they just got out and stood around blocking traffic while waiting for the police to arrive.  Perhaps this should be part of the ION educational campaign?

I thought the rule nowadays was to move vehicles out of the way as long as nobody is hurt and the vehicles can be driven.  Am I mistaken?
(09-25-2018, 05:34 PM)KevinT Wrote: Today around 12:15 p.m. I was driving southeast on King and there was a multi-vehicle accident ahead of me just past Pine St in front of Grand River Hospital.  Nobody knew quite how to proceed until a car took to the tracks to get around the blockage, followed by a bus and several more cars.  When my turn came I turned left onto Pine instead -- I just couldn't get myself to drive on the tracks, even though I knew from the radio that all the LRVs were on lunch break.

Did the car have to hop the curb separating the tracks? Did they drive down the tracks to the next intersection?
(09-25-2018, 06:06 PM)panamaniac Wrote:
(09-25-2018, 05:34 PM)KevinT Wrote: Today around 12:15 p.m. I was driving southeast on King and there was a multi-vehicle accident ahead of me just past Pine St in front of Grand River Hospital.  Nobody knew quite how to proceed until a car took to the tracks to get around the blockage, followed by a bus and several more cars.  When my turn came I turned left onto Pine instead -- I just couldn't get myself to drive on the tracks, even though I knew from the radio that all the LRVs were on lunch break.  Of course even then I was breaking a law, as the intersection is signed No Lefts.  An alternative was to turn right into the Emergency parking lot and turn around in there, then either head across to Pine or turn left/northwest onto King, but the Emerg lot looked busy and I didn't want to interfere with any genuine emergencies.  Per the radio it cleared up in 10 minutes, but it was quite a messy hiccup for the time that it lasted.

I think that the accident drivers could simply have moved ahead and into the hospital garage driveway before getting out to swap their insurance details, much like when you have an accident on a 400 series highway and are advised to move immediately to the shoulder if at all possible, but sadly as near as I could tell they just got out and stood around blocking traffic while waiting for the police to arrive.  Perhaps this should be part of the ION educational campaign?

I thought the rule nowadays was to move vehicles out of the way as long as nobody is hurt and the vehicles can be driven.  Am I mistaken?

AFAIK, this is always the rule, vehicles which are safe to move, and individuals with no immediate injuries have no reason to continue blocking a road, single lane or not.

Of course, it's easy to look at those drivers involved and question their apparently selfish choices to block a road, it's a little different to be in shock with adrenaline rushing from a collision, even a minor one.

That being said, I'd bet big money that it doesn't matter one iota if trains are running, drivers will still use the tracks to get around.  After all, those same drivers will use a bike lane, or a sidewalk, or my front freaking lawn to get around just the same.
Implying that someone is "selfish" for blocking the road because they got in a crash is pretty cold. They probably weren't sure what to do, or if they were even allowed to move.

Here we go again, painting all drivers with the same brush. I give up. I guess I'm a piece of shit because I have a car.
(09-25-2018, 08:13 PM)Canard Wrote: Implying that someone is "selfish" for blocking the road because they got in a crash is pretty cold.  They probably weren't sure what to do, or if they were even allowed to move.  

Here we go again, painting all drivers with the same brush.  I give up.  I guess I'm a piece of shit because I have a car.

Actually I said the opposite.  I said their actions may appear selfish, but that when in a collision, one is likely to experience shock and adrenaline, and not really be making their choices in the greater context.

Sorry I probably wasn't very clear.

Why is this so necessary, "not all drivers", "not all men", "not all white people"...I'm all three and I try very hard not to object to being painted with a brush that I know doesn't apply to me, but I'm sorry if I painted drivers as all the same.
(09-25-2018, 05:25 PM)Canard Wrote: There is no burden.

It’s awesome it’s bilingual, I love that.

Me too!  In a small way it strengthens our nation.

(09-25-2018, 07:51 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: That being said, I'd bet big money that it doesn't matter one iota if trains are running, drivers will still use the tracks to get around.  After all, those same drivers will use a bike lane, or a sidewalk, or my front freaking lawn to get around just the same.

This happened to my neighbour a couple weeks ago. Someone tore up their front lawn and drove out our driveway to get away from whatever they were running from. Cops came to our house to ask my wife if she witnessed anything but she didn't see a thing. It was kind of crazy.
(09-25-2018, 07:06 PM)Markster Wrote:
(09-25-2018, 05:34 PM)KevinT Wrote: Today around 12:15 p.m. I was driving southeast on King and there was a multi-vehicle accident ahead of me just past Pine St in front of Grand River Hospital.  Nobody knew quite how to proceed until a car took to the tracks to get around the blockage, followed by a bus and several more cars.  When my turn came I turned left onto Pine instead -- I just couldn't get myself to drive on the tracks, even though I knew from the radio that all the LRVs were on lunch break.

Did the car have to hop the curb separating the tracks?  Did they drive down the tracks to the next intersection?

They all drove onto the 'southbound' tracks at the Pine/GRH Emergency intersection, down the 'southbound' ION right of way, then off the tracks at the next intersection (GRH Parking entrance).
Digging up concrete at UW.

[Image: YokcKpP.jpg]
What's going on with the UW station?
511 just arrived!

Also, since I was in Woodstock today, it appears some people's priorities have changed:

(the "For Sale" sign is new)

An update from CTV on some of the art projects along the line:

https://kitchener.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=1498327

They briefly mention that one project was cancelled, but not by name - that being Ken Hall's phenominal "Network" for R+T park, which was going to be the most elaborate and spectacular piece along the line.

Also no mention of the fact that all pieces were due to be installed by the end of September, and none have even begun installation.
Great shot of 511!
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »