Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
(08-24-2018, 11:51 AM)Canard Wrote: The tolerances specified on the engineering drawings determine if it is a problem or not.

The story of my life:

Assembler: “Something isn’t working on the machine you designed.”
Me: :: measures critical part :: “These locating pins are out of tolerance.”
A: “Oh yeah, we saw that when they got machined, but thought they looked good enough.”

Sigh.....

We’re talking about sidewalks. It’s not at all unreasonable to take a look and decide it’s OK. There is no other piece with which it needs to interact precisely — shoes and tires are made of flexible materials for a reason.

Besides, it looks worse with a few random panels replaced. They should at least also fix the actual problems while they’re fixing the technical deviations.

(08-24-2018, 03:21 PM)ijmorlan Wrote: We’re talking about sidewalks. It’s not at all unreasonable to take a look and decide it’s OK. There is no other piece with which it needs to interact precisely — shoes and tires are made of flexible materials for a reason.

If that's the case, then there should be wider tolerances, right?
(08-24-2018, 03:21 PM)ijmorlan Wrote:
(08-24-2018, 11:51 AM)Canard Wrote: The tolerances specified on the engineering drawings determine if it is a problem or not.

The story of my life:

Assembler: “Something isn’t working on the machine you designed.”
Me: :: measures critical part :: “These locating pins are out of tolerance.”
A: “Oh yeah, we saw that when they got machined, but thought they looked good enough.”

Sigh.....

We’re talking about sidewalks. It’s not at all unreasonable to take a look and decide it’s OK. There is no other piece with which it needs to interact precisely — shoes and tires are made of flexible materials for a reason.

Besides, it looks worse with a few random panels replaced. They should at least also fix the actual problems while they’re fixing the technical deviations.

The most annoying thing about it is they leave the panel off the sidewalk for weeks before replacing it.

I imagine they're different crews, but in many cases the added inconvenience is worse than the error, never mind the wasted cost.
(08-24-2018, 04:18 PM)timc Wrote: If that's the case, then there should be wider tolerances, right?

...if it’s not a problem, then yes. 

The fact that things are being corrected would indicate that it is a significant enough issue to warrant rework. 

I don’t know why we’re having this discussion other than some don’t understand what a tolerance or specification is.

On a more exciting note, 511 has the specialized equipment installed and will be inspected by the Region on Monday. If given the OK, it will be the next LRV to arrive, ahead of 510 - just to keep things spicy.
(08-24-2018, 04:23 PM)Canard Wrote:
(08-24-2018, 04:18 PM)timc Wrote: If that's the case, then there should be wider tolerances, right?

...if it’s not a problem, then yes. 

The fact that things are being corrected would indicate that it is a significant enough issue to warrant rework. 

I don’t know why we’re having this discussion other than some don’t understand what a tolerance or specification is.

On a more exciting note, 511 has the specialized equipment installed and will be inspected by the Region on Monday. If given the OK, it will be the next LRV to arrive, ahead of 510 - just to keep things spicy.

You're assuming all of the tolerances are reasonable and appropriate.

There are curbs in the city that are 1-2 inches out of alignment, that aren't being corrected. Sections of the spur line trail are misaligned by as much as half a meter (https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.4626437,-...bfov%3D100).

I'm not privvy to the engineering documents, so I cannot say for sure what they said originally, but I wouldn't assume these numbers are reasonable in all cases.  They're contractual, not necessarily based on engineering requirements.

We are just speculating and expressing opinions that are held without knowing either underlying technical details, or specific contract details.  But at the end of the day it is a sidewalk, we do have *some* experience with acceptable standards.

In any case, that is very exciting.

When delivered, that would be the first train with the specialized equipment installed? Do you have any idea how long it would be until we see it operating using the specialize equipment?
(08-24-2018, 04:34 PM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(08-24-2018, 04:23 PM)Canard Wrote: ...if it’s not a problem, then yes. 

You're assuming all of the tolerances are reasonable and appropriate.

There are curbs in the city that are 1-2 inches out of alignment, that aren't being corrected. Sections of the spur line trail are misaligned by as much as half a meter (https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.4626437,-...bfov%3D100).

I'm not privvy to the engineering documents, so I cannot say for sure what they said originally, but I wouldn't assume these numbers are reasonable in all cases.  They're contractual, not necessarily based on engineering requirements.

We are just speculating and expressing opinions that are held without knowing either underlying technical details, or specific contract details.  But at the end of the day it is a sidewalk, we do have *some* experience with acceptable standards.

In any case, that is very exciting.

When delivered, that would be the first train with the specialized equipment installed? Do you have any idea how long it would be until we see it operating using the specialize equipment?
We should have another vehicle (that was already here) with the equipment installed pretty soon too.
(08-24-2018, 04:20 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: The most annoying thing about it is they leave the panel off the sidewalk for weeks before replacing it.

I imagine they're different crews, but in many cases the added inconvenience is worse than the error, never mind the wasted cost.

I don’t know if this has actually happened, but there is another potential problem: if the panel is in the middle of a pour, the replaced panel may not match the adjacent panels perfectly. Often now they do a single pour, then cut the expansion joints in once it is mostly set. You can’t get a smoother joint between panels than that. I would go so far as to say that it is definitely better for a panel to be slightly out of spec than for its interfaces with adjacent panels to all be off by a bit due to being re-poured.

I heard another rumour about another source for delay: it's hard to get first responders trained in time for system opening...
They've already done all their training months ago, they did it at the OMSF. There was a period of a few weeks when there was no on-track testing, and that's why. But it isn't holding up opening day.
(08-25-2018, 07:55 PM)plam Wrote: I heard another rumour about another source for delay: it's hard to get first responders trained in time for system opening...

They've had trains running for long enough that they could have trained several first responder teams already
(08-25-2018, 08:49 PM)Canard Wrote: They've already done all their training months ago, they did it at the OMSF.  There was a period of a few weeks when there was no on-track testing, and that's why.  But it isn't holding up opening day.

Is opening still planed for December 2018? I haven't heard anything about train shipments.
(08-27-2018, 07:14 PM)jeffster Wrote:
(08-25-2018, 08:49 PM)Canard Wrote: They've already done all their training months ago, they did it at the OMSF.  There was a period of a few weeks when there was no on-track testing, and that's why.  But it isn't holding up opening day.

Is opening still planed for December 2018?  I haven't heard anything about train shipments.

(08-24-2018, 04:23 PM)Canard Wrote: [snip]...[/snip]

Here you go
City council in Kitchener moves towards better access to Fairview from Traynor/Vanier

The city has approved in principle a land acquisition to make way for a safe crosswalk area at nearby ION tracks

Kitchener city council seems to have heard pleas from residents living in the Traynor and Vanier neighbourhoods.

Council approved a plan in principle to buy up land, which will make way for a pedestrian crossing at the ION light-rail transit tracks so the two areas can connect to stores and amenities on Fairview Road.

City staff are preparing a report --- which will include immediate funding options --- to be presented at a committee meeting September 10.

The region is currently developing a design for the crossing.

Kitchenertoday.com

Having a crossing from Traynor to Fairview should had shown up during the EA stage.

It was clear to me when I walked the route at the start of construction that there should be a crossing or 2 in the area, otherwise would piss off the residents and force them to do long walks or getting into a car to drive to X. Lets see how long it takes to get a crossing in, but will be in 2019.

It will still be interesting to see who has their line open first for KW or Ottawa. By rights, KW should be open first based on what I saw in Ottawa a few weeks ago.

As far as I know, only one station in Ottawa is completed and never saw it. What I saw from the downtown to the last station in the west, maybe ready early 2019. Was told by family and others, the contractor is working 7/24 and supposed to turn the system over to the city in early Nov and the city opening the line by the end of Nov.

Caught a few videos of testing the new cars that were using both tracks at the same time in the same direction. If it wasn't for the rain, would have got more at a better location.
https://youtu.be/4oyqY0_jSCU
https://youtu.be/l-ky7afvoac
https://youtu.be/TwvxyrMq5pE
https://youtu.be/pdrnP_jA51U
At the moment, it looks like Ottawa will open first.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »