Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
From UpTown through Columbia, I feel that the trail really needs separation, currently only existing from Erb to Seagram(?). With students and potentially more employment on either side of the trail north of Columbia, I think we're getting to a point where even if somewhat preemptive, separation makes sense.

The radio chatter during my drive to work was that 505 was cleared from Conestoga Station to Fairway Station (end to end), so I swung by King and Northfield to catch the run and followed along for a bit. It made every stop, with doors opening and a staff member getting out and back in again to simulate a typical run. They also swapped drivers at every stop which unfortunately added to the dwell times a bit. I can't wait to see how long this takes when they do it without the driver change!

Very nice, Kevin! Maybe moving slowly because of student drivers? Smile
(08-16-2018, 09:48 PM)tomh009 Wrote: Very nice, Kevin! Maybe moving slowly because of student drivers? Smile

That was my thought too, but I didn't want to insult anyone directly by saying it in my captions.  Smile
Anyone know when the rest of the trains are coming? I think we're still six short with one coming this month.
Your assessment of the situation is correct!
More sidewalk decals being spotted at intersections reminding crosswalkers to look both ways for trains - now at King/Frederick.

I heard on the scanner something major happened at Colby and Northfield this afternoon, the police had to be called. Wonder what that was all about?
Quote:Very nice, Kevin! Maybe moving slowly because of student drivers?

Quote:That was my thought too, but I didn't want to insult anyone directly by saying it in my captions.

The speed limit in a lot of places with sharp curves is only 10 km/h, which is a brisk walk.
Should we start a poll for whether Ion service starts in December?
2018 or 2019?
I feel like we have enough technically competent web people here that it would be awfully simple to make a calendar with all of our guesses.
The Region has an EOI out for "GRT Digital Displays for ION Light Rail Transit" in which they will develop an RFP to provide 45-50 displays to be mounted at the ION stops for real time departure information for nearby bus stops.

https://regionofwaterloo.bidsandtenders....117d8f0b65

Oh no. They’d better do this right! Fonts, design language, aesthetics of the mounts absolutely must be considered.

I’ll be devistated if this just ends up being a hack job on my beautiful platforms.
(08-23-2018, 10:15 AM)Canard Wrote: Oh no. They’d better do this right! Fonts, design language, aesthetics of the mounts absolutely must be considered.

I’ll be devistated if this just ends up being a hack job on my beautiful platforms.

The EOI is just for the display hardware. The region will implement the software solution. The mounts -- yes, they are part of the process, but it's quite hard to specify "beautiful mount" in the spec documents.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »