Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
I want Malcolm Gladwell to be the voice of the Ion.

I’d like a public contest so everyone has a chance to try out!

Lots of discussion on twitter about this, and I don’t like the idea of just blindly giving it to someon... everyone should have some input in this.

I wanted a vote or contest for unique door close chimes too, but that didn’t happen.
(08-02-2018, 10:41 AM)Canard Wrote: I’d like a public contest so everyone has a chance to try out!

Lots of discussion on twitter about this, and I don’t like the idea of just blindly giving it to someon... everyone should have some input in this.

I wanted a vote or contest for unique door close chimes too, but that didn’t happen.

Indeed, I'm still pining for the first seven notes of the Chicken Dance song!  Wink
The OMSF will not be part of Doors Open this year, but another Ion-related structure will be: the King St grade separation.

(I've never seen a Doors Open event at a place that wasn't a building, or other defined, enclosed space.)

Quote:Saturday Sept 15

Three guided walks: 11 a.m., 1 p.m. and 3 p.m. Walk approx. 45 min.

Free Doors Open parking:
Lot at corner of Waterloo and Victoria streets (see map)

Meet outside the University of Waterloo School of Pharmacy, at King and Victoria Streets in Downtown Kitchener. Rain or shine. Sturdy footwear recommended.

ATTENTION  engineering, transportation, and construction enthusiasts!
This grade separation, physically dividing King Street and ION light rail transit (LRT) from the intersecting passenger and freight rail infrastructure, was one of the most intricate components of the ION project, requiring 800 cubic metres of concrete to build the bridge deck over King Street. Learn all about what was required to create the grade separation from Region of Waterloo engineers and staff, your tour leaders. The grade separation provides safe and convenient travel for Go Transit, VIA Rail, and future ION riders, as well as cars, pedestrians, and cyclists, and it borders the site of the Region’s soon-to-be-built multi modal transit hub.

Parking
(08-02-2018, 11:01 AM)panamaniac Wrote:
(08-02-2018, 10:41 AM)Canard Wrote: I’d like a public contest so everyone has a chance to try out!

Indeed, I'm still pining for the first seven notes of the Chicken Dance song!  Wink

Bob and Doug's Coo Loo Coo Coo.
Three tones would be good, but just some different notes, I think. SkyTrain (Vancouver) has an ascending three-tone chime and it's very ethereal.

I've played around on my keyboard with some fun ones, I'd love to submit them or be involved in the process. Four notes is good too.
I like Sesame Street.

(08-02-2018, 11:39 AM)Chris Wrote:
(08-02-2018, 11:01 AM)panamaniac Wrote: Indeed, I'm still pining for the first seven notes of the Chicken Dance song!  Wink

Bob and Doug's Coo Loo Coo Coo.

Yes, followed by their song "take off" upon exit..
(08-02-2018, 11:01 AM)panamaniac Wrote: Indeed, I'm still pining for the first seven notes of the Chicken Dance song!  Wink

I'm writing you in for Regional Chair.
How does the regulation work for this? Is it just that there needs to be a warning tone, or there needs to be a specific warning tone? Timio mentioned Sesame Street, which is the TTC subway tone (C, A, F or 'sun-ny-days') and the warning bell at TMMC for some reason.

But I  think "take off, eh!" should be considered.  Smile  Ion riders would appreciate being called hosers.
Fun fact: “the TTC Chime” isn’t. It’s the Bombardier Chime, or more specifically; the UTDC Chime! It was first introduced on the ICTS (Linear Induction Motor powered) project, and since then many systems around the world have inherited it.

Everyone in Ontario thinks it belongs to the TTC, but it’s just because they have so much Bombardier equipment.

We got stuck with it because Metrolinx wanted it on the Crosstown vehicles for consistency, and our order is a slice of theirs... or was.

Perhaps now that we’re out of that attachment, we can have some creative freedom...
So the Bombardier chime, more specifically the UTDC chime, is not specifically specified in the regulation, just that some type of warning be implemented? Meaning we could actually use the chicken dance if that's what we decided on?
(08-02-2018, 07:31 PM)Chicopee Wrote: So the Bombardier chime, more specifically the UTDC chime, is not specifically specified in the regulation, just that some type of warning be implemented? Meaning we could actually use the chicken dance if that's what we decided on?

Wouldn't the Chicken Dance chime just encourage people to do the chicken dance in the doorway rather than warn that the doors are closing and people need to get out of the way

(08-02-2018, 08:08 PM)trainspotter139 Wrote:
(08-02-2018, 07:31 PM)Chicopee Wrote: So the Bombardier chime, more specifically the UTDC chime, is not specifically specified in the regulation, just that some type of warning be implemented? Meaning we could actually use the chicken dance if that's what we decided on?

Wouldn't the Chicken Dance chime just encourage people to do the chicken dance in the doorway rather than warn that the doors are closing and people need to get out of the way

Possibly, yes. But it'd be a hit at Oktoberfest.
stahp
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »