Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
(07-10-2018, 08:42 AM)Canard Wrote: It’s not easy to split. It’s not like a toy train; there are thousands of wires and hoses running from one end of the vehicle to another. Mechanically it is not designed to come apart easily. That is why they are shipping them assembled. The Edmonton flatcar is completely different from ours ijmorlan. They are not “extensions” but a full LRV-length structural beam, more like a bridge. An extension would just bend and fall off.

Cool, thanks for the information. I wish I could see the Edmonton delivery car up close — I imagine the details of how the LRV is supported and tied down past the end of the basic car would be quite interesting.

There are photos on twitter and Facebook, it’s essentially the same as ours. There are four square holes in each module with bogies. They insert a yellow peg into the hole and cinch it down. The intermediate bogies of course are not tied down in any way.
New ad:

Love it! Hope it's the first of many.
(07-10-2018, 09:32 PM)Canard Wrote: New ad:

Love it!  Hope it's the first of many.

Looks great! Minor nit: it says “never stop or park on the tracks”. Correct advice, but not strong enough outside of intersections: general traffic has no business occupying the tracks for so much as a millisecond at most locations, e.g. in front of the businesses on King St.
(07-10-2018, 09:51 PM)ijmorlan Wrote: Looks great! Minor nit: it says “never stop or park on the tracks”. Correct advice, but not strong enough outside of intersections: general traffic has no business occupying the tracks for so much as a millisecond at most locations, e.g. in front of the businesses on King St.

?
(07-10-2018, 10:06 PM)Canard Wrote:
(07-10-2018, 09:51 PM)ijmorlan Wrote: Looks great! Minor nit: it says “never stop or park on the tracks”. Correct advice, but not strong enough outside of intersections: general traffic has no business occupying the tracks for so much as a millisecond at most locations, e.g. in front of the businesses on King St.

?

Never stop or park implies that you can at least drive on the tracks, which of course you should also never do (unless crossing them at an intersection during the proper phase).
I think ijmorlan means this doesn't say "don't drive on the tracks"

Drivers are using them as right turn lanes.

It kind of does though. It says to "drive in your lane."

Shouldn't the word Ion be backwards if it is being seen in the rear-view mirror?
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
(07-10-2018, 11:16 PM)Pheidippides Wrote: Shouldn't the word Ion be backwards if it is being seen in the rear-view mirror?
Yes. Yes it should.
(07-10-2018, 10:16 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: I think ijmorlan means this doesn't say "don't drive on the tracks"

Drivers are using them as right turn lanes.

Exactly. I have a similar complaint about the bicycle lanes, which are signed as “No Parking” when they should be “No Stopping”; except even that isn’t really right, because cars have no business in the bicycle lanes, ever, even for a millisecond (except at intersections where by definition various rights-of-way conflict).

In both cases, it would probably be better if there were a barrier curb separating the LRT or bicycle lanes so that it would be clear to drivers that those lanes are not part of the general traffic road at all but rather adjacent to it, just like sidewalks.
Oh my god.
(07-11-2018, 06:29 AM)Canard Wrote: Oh my god.

What now?
I shared a cute poster by the project team and now it’s being absolutely decimated.

There are already tons of “Do not drive on the tracks” signs all over.

(07-11-2018, 07:21 AM)Canard Wrote: I shared a cute poster by the project team and now it’s being absolutely decimated.

Don’t worry, it’s a good poster. I did call my concern a “nit”. My concern isn’t even specifically about the poster but around the messaging in general, including the actual signs. There really isn’t a sign in existence that conveys the level of exclusion — the only thing that is comparable is the extent to which vehicles are supposed to stay off the sidewalk, which is handled not by a specific sign but by curbing and people just understanding what a sidewalk is (except when they don’t, but that’s another story).

Returning to the poster, you shared it, and now there is a discussion. This is good!
I would also nit and suggest that the dashboard of the car end a bit sooner, so it doesn't lend the appearance that the car could be squeezing onto the track, while also agreeing that more explicit language around when you can be on a track (only to cross) be used, if the permissive attitudes around bike lanes and the UpTown segregated lanes are any example to avoid.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »