Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
Would pay.

No damage at Block Line to the crossing arms that we could see driving by today - which arm was it that you thought was broken off?

(05-05-2018, 04:53 PM)Canard Wrote: Would pay.

No damage at Block Line to the crossing arms that we could see driving by today - which arm was it that you thought was broken off?

They could have fixed it last night too. I'm sure RailTerm went up and down the line for an OCS inspection after the storm and found it if it was broken.
I'm just trying to picture this - how could it "swing" if it's supported at the base?
Caught some signal timing runs today at the Old Albert crossing:

Best high-speed video yet. Thanks Kevin!
Apparently several of the fiberglass gates snapped in the wind Friday. Mostly it was the really long ones. Block Line, Mill and Northfield were the ones that one of the workers said needed repairs over the weekend
Just noticed that Allan has the TVM's installed

(05-07-2018, 03:18 PM)KevinT Wrote: Caught some signal timing runs today at the Old Albert crossing:

https://youtu.be/R8kddGWsQuU

I consistently am measuring this at about 1.7 sec. for the 31 m LRV to cross a fixed point, which works out to 65 km/h. Nice.
wow... kind of looks surreal. it'll be nice when I can finally catch one of the trial runs.
(05-07-2018, 03:18 PM)KevinT Wrote: Caught some signal timing runs today at the Old Albert crossing:

That horn tho....sounds a lot like my Ford's horn. Surely we can do better.
Temporary, thankfully.
(05-08-2018, 07:07 AM)Canard Wrote: Temporary, thankfully.

Do you happen to know if they’re just doing that during this testing to make extra noise until people expect the train, or is there some other reason why they’re using that horn sound? I agree that something more tram-like would be more pleasant.
They have two ways of getting people’s attention:
  • Gong
  • Horn

My understanding is the horn is being used until all the crossings and signals are working perfectly. Better safe than sorry, I suppose.

I do not expect them to ding the gong as it passes at speed through spur crossings, but do expect the gong to sound when moving off or through intersections in urban sections.

In the USA, high speed LRT systems on segregated track actually do the full FRA “long long short long” whistle blow and it’s absolutely awful.

Sad

https://twitter.com/rideionrt/status/993...90368?s=21

No official ION LRV update until June 6. Very disappointed to hear this.
(05-08-2018, 01:00 PM)Canard Wrote: Sad

https://twitter.com/rideionrt/status/993...90368?s=21

No official ION LRV update until June 6. Very disappointed to hear this.

It must be some new definition of “monthly” with which I’m not familiar. Confused

I like your response: “What about this month’s update?”
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »