Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
It was fast, but keep in mind there’s probably +\- 2 or 3 minutes to my posts relative to the event occurring, ijmorlan. It would not be a direct correlation that could be used for accurate timing. They are moving between UWaterloo and Willis Way only.

I saw them go through at Seagram; the absolutely massive crossing arm went completely nuts when it went up. It looks to me like it made the “up” switch, so the motor turned off. But, because the arm is so long, it bounced, and forced the pivot back off the switch. So, the motor pulsed “up” again, amplifying the whip... and it got worse and worse until I heard gears stripping. Then it faulted out, with the lights stuck on.

How stuff like this wasn’t found months ago is beyond me... if I was installing that stuff it’d be the first thing I’d check once I got power on it.

Aren't there supposed to be thunderstorms in KW right now (I'm in Mississauga)? Perhaps a particularly strong blast of lightning hit the OCS and sent the train running!
(05-04-2018, 01:54 PM)jamincan Wrote: Aren't there supposed to be thunderstorms in KW right now (I'm in Mississauga)? Perhaps a particularly strong blast of lightning hit the OCS and sent the train running!

Not yet, but the skies are now ominous. Very windy too.

Generally, for me, I can feel if/when a thunderstorm is coming, and I am feeling it. Probably within the next 20 minutes or so...
(05-04-2018, 02:52 PM)jeffster Wrote:
(05-04-2018, 01:54 PM)jamincan Wrote: Aren't there supposed to be thunderstorms in KW right now (I'm in Mississauga)? Perhaps a particularly strong blast of lightning hit the OCS and sent the train running!

Not yet, but the skies are now ominous. Very windy too.

Generally, for me, I can feel if/when a thunderstorm is coming, and I am feeling it. Probably within the next 20 minutes or so...

And thus it starts (sorry, I realize it's off topic...)!
sounds like they are putting things away for today due to the thunderstorm
(05-04-2018, 11:18 AM)Canard Wrote: ...the absolutely massive crossing arm went completely nuts when it went up. It looks to me like it made the “up” switch, so the motor turned off. But, because the arm is so long, it bounced, and forced the pivot back off the switch. So, the motor pulsed “up” again, amplifying the whip... and it got worse and worse until I heard gears stripping. Then it faulted out, with the lights stuck on.

Tell me you got this on video, sounds hilarious! (and potentially very dangerous, folks...good thing it was caught during testing)
I was back by later and saw they got it fixed when the 2nd last train went through for the day.  A crew was tweaking and monitoring it, probably adjusting that limit switch.

It definitely was hilarious! Sorry, no video.

(05-04-2018, 11:18 AM)Canard Wrote: It was fast, but keep in mind there’s probably +\- 2 or 3 minutes to my posts relative to the event occurring, ijmorlan. It would not be a direct correlation that could be used for accurate timing. They are moving between UWaterloo and Willis Way only.

OK, that makes sense. I really shouldn’t be trying to take exact timing from message posting times. I’m just really interested in how it moves along the line Big Grin

Quote:I saw them go through at Seagram; the absolutely massive crossing arm went completely nuts when it went up. It looks to me like it made the “up” switch, so the motor turned off. But, because the arm is so long, it bounced, and forced the pivot back off the switch. So, the motor pulsed “up” again, amplifying the whip... and it got worse and worse until I heard gears stripping. Then it faulted out, with the lights stuck on.

How stuff like this wasn’t found months ago is beyond me... if I was installing that stuff it’d be the first thing I’d check once I got power on it.

Positive feedback can be trouble…agreed, it’s crazy that basic stuff like this is still a problem. Nothing to do with Bombardier, except indirectly in that Grandlinq would have had more incentive to get it together if they weren’t going to be able to hide their lateness behind LRV delivery problems. But at this point I think Grandlinq is pretty close to becoming the critical path, maybe they already are.
No, it has zero to do with Bombardier whatsoever. As soon as they had volts to those arms they should have had someone cycle them up and down, and set all the limit switches.

I'm glad it was a minor adjustment, but still annoying they wasted half a day (they stopped testing for about 2 and a half hours to fix it) likely because of it.

At one point today, they did have to E-Stop near the University. I heard "STOP STOP STOP!!!!" about 30 seconds after they left UWaterloo heading southbound, followed by a "call me" (ie, offline conversation). Later in the day, there was a cop parked in the median at the University Ave crossing, watching people like a hawk. My guess: someone wasn't paying attention (headphones, staring at phone, etc.) and walked right in front of a train.
(05-04-2018, 05:58 PM)Canard Wrote: No, it has zero to do with Bombardier whatsoever.  As soon as they had volts to those arms they should have had someone cycle them up and down, and set all the limit switches.

I'm glad it was a minor adjustment, but still annoying they wasted half a day (they stopped testing for about 2 and a half hours to fix it) likely because of it.

At one point today, they did have to E-Stop near the University.  I heard "STOP STOP STOP!!!!" about 30 seconds after they left UWaterloo heading southbound, followed by a "call me" (ie, offline conversation).  Later in the day, there was a cop parked in the median at the University Ave crossing, watching people like a hawk.  My guess:  someone wasn't paying attention (headphones, staring at phone, etc.) and walked right in front of a train.

From what I could tell, the big arm at Seagram was being bombarded by the wind and being pushed into the crossing, right into the path of the LRV. The "STOP STOP STOP" was between University and Seagram. RailTerm had to make some adjustments (again) to the arm to get it to stay somewhat straight
(05-04-2018, 08:38 PM)trainspotter139 Wrote:
(05-04-2018, 05:58 PM)Canard Wrote: No, it has zero to do with Bombardier whatsoever.  As soon as they had volts to those arms they should have had someone cycle them up and down, and set all the limit switches.

At one point today, they did have to E-Stop near the University.  I heard "STOP STOP STOP!!!!" about 30 seconds after they left UWaterloo heading southbound, followed by a "call me" (ie, offline conversation).  Later in the day, there was a cop parked in the median at the University Ave crossing, watching people like a hawk.  My guess:  someone wasn't paying attention (headphones, staring at phone, etc.) and walked right in front of a train.

From what I could tell, the big arm at Seagram was being bombarded by the wind and being pushed into the crossing, right into the path of the LRV. The "STOP STOP STOP" was between University and Seagram. RailTerm had to make some adjustments (again) to the arm to get it to stay somewhat straight

Bombardier was bombarded by the wind?

Crazy.

Passenger on her phone. I circled around (on my bike).

“Hi, you can’t park here.”
:: continues to stare at phone, ignoring me ::
“Hi, did you see that sign?”
:: looks up at me briefly, waves hands, points at building, goes back to phone. ::
“YOU CANNOT PARK HERE. THESE ARE TRACKS THAT TRAINS GO ON.”
:: while staring at phone, waves her hand at me, shooing me away. ::

Angry
And they will keep doing this as long as there is no proper enforcement because they know they can get away with it. They should be a priority for ticketing/towing even if there are no trains running at the moment. But the cities/region won't do that.

(05-05-2018, 12:08 PM)Canard Wrote: Passenger on her phone. I circled around (on my bike).

“Hi, you can’t park here.”
:: continues to stare at phone, ignoring me ::
“Hi, did you see that sign?”
:: looks up at me briefly, waves hands, points at building, goes back to phone. ::
“YOU CANNOT PARK HERE. THESE ARE TRACKS THAT TRAINS GO ON.”
:: while staring at phone, waves her hand at me, shooing me away. ::

Angry

BMW=Entitlement.

Looking forward to the day that these vehicles are tagged and towed.
Preferably while the driver is busy shooing them away while on the phone. Big Grin
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »