Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
(04-27-2018, 04:28 AM)tomh009 Wrote:
(04-26-2018, 03:38 PM)Canard Wrote: Just got word 506 is still stuck in Mac yard.

That's 10 days after CN (finally) picked it up. I guess they don't have any delivery time standards for LRTs!

30 minutes or it's free?

An LRV went past me while I was bicycling through Waterloo Park today. I’m not sure it was going at full speed but it was moving at a reasonable clip. Impressively quiet!
That's 507, per reports in the FB group.
(05-03-2018, 10:25 AM)ijmorlan Wrote: An LRV went past me while I was bicycling through Waterloo Park today. I’m not sure it was going at full speed but it was moving at a reasonable clip. Impressively quiet!

I'm hoping that as they wear-in that 'the aliens are going to kill you in the pitch black darkness' shriek they made during the initial low speed powered testing will disappear forever...
Nope, that’s standard variable frequency drive nosies.... common on all modern LRV’s, roller coaster drive wheels, my Prius, and the machines I design Smile
There is a whole subset of Japanese train fan that track the train noises based on the type of inverter. VVVF, IGBT, etc... I love it!
(05-03-2018, 12:36 PM)Canard Wrote: Nope, that’s standard variable frequency drive nosies.... common on all modern LRV’s, roller coaster drive wheels, my Prius, and the machines I design Smile

I know controller whine, this was squeaky wheels.  Lots of them, unified into a continuous shriek.

Edit: Or a controller whine the likes of which I've never heard before. Haven't heard it from Toronto's Flexity Outlooks though, which is why I've been hoping it would go away once our vehicles wore-in.

https://youtu.be/bGJQMYqxB8c?t=24s

Close your eyes, feel the darkness, fear the aliens.
I hear the motor controller noises, plus a touch of flange-to-rail contact noise through the curves (which should go away once the lubricators are activated).

You probably don't notice it on the TTC's FLEXITY Outlooks, because they're very rarely crawling along this slowly! They generally are moving through the low-speed phase very quickly as they accelerate.
"Attention please, attention please. The OCS will be energized in 5 minutes."
(05-04-2018, 07:57 AM)Canard Wrote: "Attention please, attention please.  The OCS will be energized in 5 minutes."

[Image: 200w_d.gif]
LOL!!

As per the radio, 507 is holding in the OMSF and waiting to go out on the main line.
#1 SB run just started. “All timers in position! You may proceed at maximum authorized speed! Train on the move!”

That was FAST! They are at Willis Way already, having made all stops.

They are testing/timing all the crossings.
  • Pre-emption time (if applicable)
  • Warning time
  • Recovery time
(05-04-2018, 09:52 AM)Canard Wrote: That was FAST! They are at Willis Way already, having made all stops.

They are testing/timing all the crossings.
  • Pre-emption time (if applicable)
  • Warning time
  • Recovery time

Do I understand from the timing of your messages that they got from the OMSF to Willis Way in 4 minutes? That seems almost unbelievably fast, even for an almost-straight, road-pre-empting LRT route.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »