Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
(05-01-2018, 07:40 AM)bgb_ca Wrote: Are you basing this "break in" by the blue tape/missing white tape? If so, I just went back to the picture of it in Belleville on facebook a few weeks ago and I saw that there as well.

I’m basing it on the door being open about 10 cm and flapping around the whole way up the Spurline Trail. I’d be very surprised if it did this by itself, because to open the door when there is no power, you have to pump the door open with a mechanical handle.

(05-01-2018, 12:19 PM)Canard Wrote:
(05-01-2018, 07:40 AM)bgb_ca Wrote: Are you basing this "break in" by the blue tape/missing white tape? If so, I just went back to the picture of it in Belleville on facebook a few weeks ago and I saw that there as well.

I’m basing it on the door being open about 10 cm and flapping around the whole way up the Spurline Trail. I’d be very surprised if it did this by itself, because to open the door when there is no power, you have to pump the door open with a mechanical handle.

Ok. So yes, there are signs of it being opened. (I did not see that side of the train last night). And maybe someone did go in and fiddle with stuff. But that does not mean it happened at Lancaster. As previously stated, there are signs this may have happened at either Kingston or Belleville according to some of the other pictures, or maybe even somewhere in between. In the end, lets just hope the damage is minimal, or non-existant. Maybe the door did not properly close due to the train having no power, and when it gets power, it will close properly.
The door would have been closed, locked, and taped up in Millhaven. It’s not like they just “didn’t close it” and then shipped it.
Back in my day, it was safe to leave our streetcars unlocked.
LOLLL
Lots of signals testing going on; from what I can hear sounds like CBTC related stuff.
Article about the wraps on buses/trains

https://www.therecord.com/news-story/858...on-trains/

(05-01-2018, 02:58 PM)kps Wrote: Back in my day, it was safe to leave our streetcars unlocked.

Damn....lol....what's really sad is that I know what you're talking about...
So thrilled about this decision!!!

So many awesome systems have been destroyed by advertising wraps.

Wrapped:
[Image: 33028-lasvegasmonorail005.jpg]

Bare:
[Image: monorail.jpg]

Wrapped:
[Image: 636496567310123031-122317-peoplemover-7.jpg]

Bare:

[Image: detroit%20pm.JPG]
Provided they aren't too ubiquitous, I think the wrapped buses are kind of a cool novelty. I totally understand the issues with covering the windows, but I think there's a middle ground. Looking at the Detroit example above, and looking at some other examples from Detroit on Google, it seems they actually strike a pretty reasonable balance in terms of window coverage.
Maybe it’s because I grew up watching movies about the future, reading books about the future, and dreaming about the future, but trains (and transit) should be sleek, modern and consistent. Heck, I’d love it if every single car looked the same, and had big Helvetia numbers with leading zeroes identifying them all. Fleet vehicles make me squeal because of the deliscious consistency. It’s so good.

The mishmash of messy, ugly, clown-diarrheah colours sprayed all over transit vehicles (“ads”) makes me want to throw up.
I actually can miss seeing there's a bus sometimes due to the wraps. I'd hate it if there was so much free expression that every TTC subway sign was in its own style, colour, and font, blanketed with ads, and I miss it because of it, or if I'm a tourist from the many areas with multiple transit systems, I now have no idea whether there's one system or more, is this the system I have tickets for or another, etc.
Exactly - it must be consistent, recognizable and clean. This is why I’m so thrilled with this decision. Our trains look fantastic and I would hate for that to be tarnished.

Curiously, I adore the Montreal Metro for the variety in station architecture. But the signage and brand is consistent.

DC’s Metro I love for the opposite - the consistency in the design of the stations. I always pretend I’m 100 years in the future when riding it. (Except for the new 7000 series vehicles, which I have no desire to set foot in)

A fairly large GrandLinq crew was working along Courtland by the GM dealership (where the expropriation deal was recently finalized at council). Glad to see movement here again. They had one lane closed adjacent to the Rapidway for the work.

Additionally, the vendor of the ticket machines (Stelchmann & Bauchner or whatever) was at Willis Way with the tap reader pulled apart and running wires.
(05-02-2018, 05:40 PM)Canard Wrote: A fairly large GrandLinq crew was working along Courtland by the GM dealership (where the expropriation deal was recently finalized at council). Glad to see movement here again. They had one lane closed adjacent to the Rapidway for the work.

Additionally, the vendor of the ticket machines (Stelchmann & Bauchner or whatever) was at Willis Way with the tap reader pulled apart and running wires.

Scheidt & Bachmann has been all over recently installing stuff for the Platform Fare Validators and installing the Ticket Vending Machines.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »