Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
Yes, 600 mm vs. 750 mm!  KevinT pointed this out to me at the first unloading (501).  I thought they had looked a little different during construction, but always attributed it to an optical illusion of being further away.

"Back in the Day", some roller coaster manufacturers, like Arrow, Vekoma and Meisho, used to do this with the track ties (ledgers) on their coasters at areas of track subject to higher G-forces.  Most famously perhaps was on the giant Pretzel Knot inversion on Moonsault Scramble at Fuji-Q Highland (RIP  Sad )

Re: Imagery; this is awesome!  Full installation at the OMSF now, too!  What's the deal with this site vs. Google Maps?  I had always just assumed there was only one "Satelite Camera" gathering all this data for public, is that not the case?

Hey Square! Has your friend got that radio thing hooked up online yet? If not, I’m dropping $500 this weekend on one, I can’t wait any longer. Tongue

(03-21-2018, 01:13 PM)Canard Wrote: Re: Imagery; this is awesome!  Full installation at the OMSF now, too!  What's the deal with this site vs. Google Maps?  I had always just assumed there was only one "Satelite Camera" gathering all this data for public, is that not the case?

Imagery is purchased, sold, and licensed in various terms to various parties at various times. Satellites might take some of it, and airplanes might be used for other parts. I had a lot of fun fiddling around with the base layers in the Region's GIS to see old aerial photography of the region, before they inexplicably removed it (probably when they switched to the newer http://maps.waterloo.ca front-end)

This particular dataset is "World Imagery" which has 30cm resolution in most of North America: https://services.arcgisonline.com/ArcGIS...apServer/3

At this resolution it's definitely aerial imagery. Satellite imagery is usually above 1m resolution.
I'm actually studying remote sensing this term so I should be able to answer some of that (though chutten did a fine job).

Google's an interesting beast because their city imagery these days goes way beyond the typical - as you easily find in their 3D view. This requires multiple passes in differing directions by planes equipped to both take pictures and do Lidar scans; once all that is taken it then would go through a ream of back-end processing to build the 3D environment that can be viewed from multiple angles in their web app.

This ESRI imagery, by contrast, is a simple aerial camera pass which can be done more often, hence it being more up to date.
(03-21-2018, 03:48 PM)chutten Wrote:
(03-21-2018, 01:13 PM)Canard Wrote: Re: Imagery; this is awesome!  Full installation at the OMSF now, too!  What's the deal with this site vs. Google Maps?  I had always just assumed there was only one "Satelite Camera" gathering all this data for public, is that not the case?

Imagery is purchased, sold, and licensed in various terms to various parties at various times. Satellites might take some of it, and airplanes might be used for other parts. I had a lot of fun fiddling around with the base layers in the Region's GIS to see old aerial photography of the region, before they inexplicably removed it (probably when they switched to the newer http://maps.waterloo.ca front-end)

This particular dataset is "World Imagery" which has 30cm resolution in most of North America: https://services.arcgisonline.com/ArcGIS...apServer/3

At this resolution it's definitely aerial imagery. Satellite imagery is usually above 1m resolution.

The Region still has several layers of old imagery on their GIS (http://gis.region.waterloo.on.ca/Locator) 2000 - 2016.
(03-21-2018, 01:13 PM)Canard Wrote: Yes, 600 mm vs. 750 mm!  KevinT pointed this out to me at the first unloading (501).  I thought they had looked a little different during construction, but always attributed it to an optical illusion of being further away.

"Back in the Day", some roller coaster manufacturers, like Arrow, Vekoma and Meisho, used to do this with the track ties (ledgers) on their coasters at areas of track subject to higher G-forces.  Most famously perhaps was on the giant Pretzel Knot inversion on Moonsault Scramble at Fuji-Q Highland (RIP  Sad )

Re: Imagery; this is awesome!  Full installation at the OMSF now, too!  What's the deal with this site vs. Google Maps?  I had always just assumed there was only one "Satelite Camera" gathering all this data for public, is that not the case?

Hey Square! Has your friend got that radio thing hooked up online yet? If not, I’m dropping $500 this weekend on one, I can’t wait any longer. Tongue

I just sent them another E-Mail.   Just be aware that the Region will go to a new radio system in the fall this year, and what I'm hearing that all talkgroups will be encrypted and will be silent!   I'm hoping myself that only the police will go silent!
Nooooooo! Although by then we’ll be in service so it won’t be as critical. Smile Right now, it’s just so hard to track down where they’re at, with only a single LRV out. It would save an hour of driving the whole line trying to find them (and probably missing them) to go watch what’s going on.

Thank you for trying again for us all. Smile
No problem, it's been over a week, so not sure what the problem is with my contact. Also two vehicles were testing today, 502 and 504!

Whaaaaaaaaat!! Like coupled together? Or separately at two different points on the line?!
502 was testing on the track from Weber St overpass to Northfield Station, 504 was in Uptown Waterloo area?
(03-21-2018, 05:06 PM)Canard Wrote: Whaaaaaaaaat!! Like coupled together? Or separately at two different points on the line?!

I'm wondering if they have tested them coupled together in Kingston
(03-21-2018, 05:06 PM)Canard Wrote: Whaaaaaaaaat!! Like coupled together? Or separately at two different points on the line?!

I really want to see that.

When are they supposed to start coupling them? Was it 2024 or something like that?
Yeah, something like that, but part of the testing will have them doing it, too. One pulling another, them moving together, etc...
(03-21-2018, 04:07 PM)KevinL Wrote: I'm actually studying remote sensing this term so I should be able to answer some of that (though chutten did a fine job).

Google's an interesting beast because their city imagery these days goes way beyond the typical - as you easily find in their 3D view. This requires multiple passes in differing directions by planes equipped to both take pictures and do Lidar scans; once all that is taken it then would go through a ream of back-end processing to build the 3D environment that can be viewed from multiple angles in their web app.

This ESRI imagery, by contrast, is a simple aerial camera pass which can be done more often, hence it being more up to date.

A few years back I had the opportunity to check out one of the aircraft that does photography for Google Maps when it was here at YKF.  Its a small plane, but the amount of electronic equipment crammed into the back was unbelievable.  I'm still surprised its able to take off with the amount of equipment they had back there....

Coke

@Canard My contact just e-mailed to say they will work on the live online feed of the LRT talkgroup this weekend! Fingers crossed for next week!
Looks like the region is finally acknowledging the spring estimate is no longer realistic. Official announcement on April 18.

http://www.570news.com/2018/03/22/region...an-relied/
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »