Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
(07-05-2015, 09:58 AM)panamaniac Wrote:
(07-04-2015, 08:37 PM)KevinL Wrote: At any rate, work is looking good in the Huron Spur corridor south of Ottawa Street.

[Image: 20150704_185442.jpg]

[Image: 20150704_185459.jpg]

I drove by here the other day, and these pictures give me the same impression.  Not sure if it's an optical illusion (or my eyes are getting old), but the tunnel under the 7/8 looks very narrow for two tracks... I assume twin tracks will fit thru there.  [I'm too lazy to hike down the tracks to look at it up close]

Have a little faith in engineers, eh? Wink The tunnel is quite tall. Remember, the trains are 2.65 m wide, but the catenary (OCS) is around 5.2 m up from the rails.

(Countdown to someone bringing up the SNCF fiasco in 3... 2... 1...)
(07-06-2015, 08:14 PM)Canard Wrote: Have a little faith in engineers, eh? Wink The tunnel is quite tall.  Remember, the trains are 2.65 m wide, but the catenary (OCS) is around 5.2 m up from the rails.

(Countdown to someone bringing up the SNCF fiasco in 3... 2... 1...)

Glad the livery will fit thru!  LOL 

It appears I am right to question these things... I had to Google the SNCF thing, but for the others: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-...outes.html

Coke
(07-06-2015, 07:54 PM)Coke6pk Wrote: I drove by here the other day, and these pictures give me the same impression.  Not sure if it's an optical illusion (or my eyes are getting old), but the tunnel under the 7/8 looks very narrow for two tracks... I assume twin tracks will fit thru there.  [I'm too lazy to hike down the tracks to look at it up close]

You can get much closer using Overland Dr. or Ardelt Pl. (which I believe used to be one continuous route; until construction began, there was a pedestrian railway crossing there). The tunnel looks much wider close up.
(07-06-2015, 06:48 PM)timio Wrote: Excavation of Laurel Creek started today after all the water was drained. There was a sizeable trench dug across the channel when I walked by around 5. The signs suggest the trails in the area are closed for 3 weeks.

Also, they were installing the concrete cover of a newly installed duct bank across the west side of William at Caroline.

Hello,

This might sound silly but where is this Laurel Creek construction?

Thank you.
(07-06-2015, 09:40 PM)Square Wrote: This might sound silly but where is this Laurel Creek construction?

Right here
, in Waterloo Park.
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Laurel Creek has been completely shut off at the trail bridge; gravel for new rail bridge foundation has been placed. <a href="http://t.co/6e1WG65XqI">pic.twitter.com/6e1WG65XqI</a></p>&mdash; Mark Jackson-Brown (@Markster3000) <a href="https://twitter.com/Markster3000/status/618184337880649728">July 6, 2015</a></blockquote>

(07-06-2015, 07:54 PM)Coke6pk Wrote:   Not sure if it's an optical illusion (or my eyes are getting old), but the tunnel under the 7/8 looks very narrow for two tracks... I assume twin tracks will fit thru there.  [I'm too lazy to hike down the tracks to look at it up close]

The tunnel you see is only for the freight tracks. An entirely separate new tunnel has been dug just east of it (to the left from this view) for the twinned Ion tracks. I tried to fit it into the shot, but the sheer length of the corridor combined with the greenery at the far end means it couldn't be easily shown.

And yes, there will be triple tracks in the corridor from Ottawa to Hayward; the freight tracks here get too busy to share with Ion trains like the Waterloo spur will.
The Laurel Creek construction was going full force at around 4:30 when I biked by, it looks like a big job.

Also it was great seeing the parallel sets of tracks across Columbia for the first time.
Track was being laid near UW Engineering V today as well.
(07-06-2015, 10:20 PM)Markster Wrote: <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Laurel Creek has been completely shut off at the trail bridge; gravel for new rail bridge foundation has been placed. <a href="http://t.co/6e1WG65XqI">pic.twitter.com/6e1WG65XqI</a></p>&mdash; Mark Jackson-Brown (@Markster3000) <a href="https://twitter.com/Markster3000/status/618184337880649728">July 6, 2015</a></blockquote>

To clarify for those who haven't seen it yet, it has not been completely shut off; there is substantial pumping equipment and giant pipes which are maintaining the flow from one side to another.
Thank you for the replies. I thought that's where it was, but growing up I always thought of this place as Silver Lake.
(07-07-2015, 12:32 AM)BrianT Wrote: The tunnel you see is only for the freight tracks. An entirely separate new tunnel has been dug just east of it (to the left from this view) for the twinned Ion tracks. I tried to fit it into the shot, but the sheer length of the corridor combined with the greenery at the far end means it couldn't be easily shown.

And yes, there will be triple tracks in the corridor from Ottawa to Hayward; the freight tracks here get too busy to share with Ion trains like the Waterloo spur will.

Here's a shot that I took last winter just after construction was finished. It will be wide enough for two trains. The single track tunnel is to the left of this one.

Thanks all for the clarification!
Photo 
Shot of the new rails out by UW Engineering V:
[Image: siTUFS7.jpg]

Hmm... I'd say that's old rails, not new... the wooden sleepers (ties) and jointed rail are old. New track has concrete sleepers, eClips and very long sections of rail that will be welded together. So I'm not quite sure what's going on there.  The ballast (rocks) is certainly for the new alignment, however.  Great shot!
The track realignment through UW to make space for the *real* track is a complicated process, it seems. It's curved, and has more obstacles, so just dragging it over as they did north of Columbia doesn't seem to cut it. They probably want to be relatively gentle around that new retaining wall.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »