Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
It's funny that one owner of Words Worth Books in that CTV piece seems to suggest that they are going along with the region/city on construction, being understanding of how it's good and necessary, considering word on the street is that the other owner is going to run for ward councilor, as a very anti-construction, anti-development candidate. Which would be even more interesting, since conflict of interest would either completely prevent her from having any effect on the issues she was running for, or else force her to abandon the bookstore, the entire reason she would be running. Only a rumour at this point, as far as I know.

Kitchener Market station has nothing to do with where the crossing is happening. It’s happening mid-block North of Stirling. They should totally put a fence up between the NB and SB tracks to force people to use the intersection.
(03-09-2018, 04:44 PM)Canard Wrote: Kitchener Market station has nothing to do with where the crossing is happening. It’s happening mid-block North of Stirling. They should totally put a fence up between the NB and SB tracks to force people to use the intersection.

Huh, that's where see the most Golden Gaels when I come down Charles on the 22, but I can see why the Pandora area would also be an issue.
(03-09-2018, 06:49 PM)KevinL Wrote: Huh, that's where see the most Golden Gaels when I come down Charles on the 22, but I can see why the Pandora area would also be an issue.

I am so confused by this sentence!
Cameron Heights Collegiate Golden Gaels?
Yes, that's the sports teams. I would similarly call KCI students 'Raiders', WCI'ers 'Vikings', etc.

If Canard had problems with other parts of the sentence, Pandora is the street between Stirling and Cameron.

On that note - the original letter writer mentions Cedar, so I believe the concerns are indeed to the north of Cameron, not south. A fence south of Cameron would also run into problems where the crossover is located...

I got so tripped up by what I assume was a missing “I”. Some days I swear I’m losing it... Sorry KevinL.

Having not grown up here, I don’t know anything about the school, so didn’t make the connection between the sport team and the school.

While the writer may have indicated otherwise, I was just stating my personal observation is that all the problems are right around the school itself. I agree there would be challenges in handling the crossover. Maybe a fence not between the tracks, but on just one side (between tracks and road) - although that would preclude emergency vehicles from mounting the Rapidway, which is probably verboten.
Indeed, and high school students are likely the biggest challenge when it comes to this sort of traffic engineering - if anyone can find a way around something, you can count on that age bracket. I wish those working on this solution the very best of luck...
(03-09-2018, 04:44 PM)Canard Wrote: Kitchener Market station has nothing to do with where the crossing is happening. It’s happening mid-block North of Stirling. They should totally put a fence up between the NB and SB tracks to force people to use the intersection.

There is a track crossover there which I think would preclude a fence ...
(03-09-2018, 01:35 PM)KevinL Wrote:
(03-09-2018, 01:31 PM)Canard Wrote: https://www.therecord.com/opinion-story/...er-needed/

Fully agree with this - while I'm rarely down in that area during school hours, if I am (either biking or driving), it's horrible.  I can't imagine the anxiety of being an LRV operator going through here...

They should formalize the crossing point on the south side of the Kitchener Market platform - put crosswalk lines and make curb cuts. Then, if necessary, maybe put solid barriers across the midline to reduce casual midblock crossing.

That’s another incorrectly constructed location. Either the platform should not have tactile markers at the south end, or the crossings should be fully constructed over to the sides of the road.

But really only the second of those alternatives makes any sense. There is no justification for not allowing access to the platform from the south end.
(03-09-2018, 06:49 PM)KevinL Wrote: Huh, that's where see the most Golden Gaels when I come down Charles on the 22, but I can see why the Pandora area would also be an issue.

Us Golden Gaels have always been trouble makers....it what makes us the Legends...damn..the good/crazy times at that school. We had it good though, back in the day of Zappers and Market Square food court food and the ladies from St. Mary's. At least the kids who are going there now will have something to tell their kids about, unlike the kids who graduated the last 15 years or so.
Zappers? Was that the arcade? I think that may have been after my time at CHCI. Smile

(03-11-2018, 01:55 PM)tomh009 Wrote: Zappers? Was that the arcade? I think that may have been after my time at CHCI. Smile

Oh man! You're OLD! I suppose you went there when the before the Market got the new fronting....
I can't remember the name of the other arcade though, there used to be two along that stretch. Other places to shop, Encore records (when it was on King), Natural Sound Shop (in the old, old Eaton's where the condo's are, and the attempt make something better on the ground floor)...there were some pretty good shops at Market Square too, though I cannot remember a heck of at King Centre, I think we were too busy going into the maze at King Centre and having security chase us every day.
Off topic for this thread, here is a list of all Kitchener old arcades : https://www.reddit.com/r/kitchener/comme...the_1980s/

Ahh brings me so many memories!!!
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »