Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
(03-05-2018, 07:03 PM)bgb_ca Wrote: Not sure If this is new or not, but noticed that the lrt signals by the spur line lights in uptown are now synced with the traffic light. When the light turned red, it moved to a vertical bar and when it went green it went horrizontal. It also flashed for a few seconds before changing.

That’s the wrong behaviour, unless a train was present. It was like that for a while, so that when a pedestrian pressed the button to cross King the LRT got a “proceed” and the pedestrian crossing of the LRT track got a red hand. Then it was corrected so pedestrian crossing of King didn’t affect the LRT or the pedestrian crossing of the LRT. I hope it hasn’t been broken again.

Isn't that the correct behaviour? A red light on King should mean that the ION train can proceed, and vice versa.
(03-06-2018, 12:08 PM)timc Wrote: Isn't that the correct behaviour? A red light on King should mean that the ION train can proceed, and vice versa.

A red light on King means that a train *could* proceed, and pedestrians can proceed.  But a train is far less common than a pedestrian, which means it makes sense not to give trains priority unless there's actually a train, given that doing so impedes more than just King.

It's the same as when the traffic lights don't give peds the Right of Way automatically because cars take less time in the intersection.
I can't see exactly which hair we're splitting here. Pedestrians and trains can proceed at the same time in this case because they don't cross paths.
Just now I heard testing to hit 70km/h!!!, is that our top speed?
(03-06-2018, 12:45 PM)timc Wrote: I can't see exactly which hair we're splitting here. Pedestrians and trains can proceed at the same time in this case because they don't cross paths.

West side sidewalk on King conflicts with north-to-west-turning ION trains.

When first built, walking person for pedestrians crossing King gave King a red (of course), but also gave ION a proceed and west side sidewalk pedestrians a red hand.

Then it was corrected so that the west side sidewalk would stay on the walking person and ION stays on horizontal bar. Presumably if an ION train came the pedestrians would get the red hand and ION would get a proceed.

Now it seems that possibly the fix has been reversed, if I’m understanding the report correctly.

In any case, the sidewalk definitely should not get a red unless there is train traffic (either freight or LRT) present.
(03-06-2018, 01:24 PM)Square Wrote: Just now I heard testing to hit 70km/h!!!, is that our top speed?

That’s it, I’m buying one of those radios!

Yep, 70 km/h is the top speed. The LRV’s can do 80, but the line is designed for 70 max.

Assuming they’re on lunch now?

@Canard, yes they went on lunch. Testing has resumed @ 1:40pm University to Waterloo Park.
(03-06-2018, 01:51 PM)Canard Wrote:
(03-06-2018, 01:24 PM)Square Wrote: Just now I heard testing to hit 70km/h!!!, is that our top speed?

That’s it, I’m buying one of those radios!

Yep, 70 km/h is the top speed. The LRV’s can do 80, but the line is designed for 70 max.

Assuming they’re on lunch now?

I would wait about buying the radio.  I got a reply from the e-mail I sent about the live internet feed.   He said when he comes back next week from vacation, he will look into adding those channels!
https://kitchener.ctvnews.ca/video?clipI...sc=gu9l1bN

CTV has posted the first in a multi-part series covering the ION project.

They of course, make highly misleading, to the point of lying statements about the dome, basically saying "it was for the workers", and suggesting it was a regional initiative, not a contractor initiative.
(03-06-2018, 02:25 PM)Square Wrote: @Canard, yes they went on lunch.   Testing has resumed @ 1:40pm University to Waterloo Park.

I was there watching it too. The grade crossing in front of Engineering 5 got stuck on and the crossings to the plaza and University Ave need some tuning but other than that it seemed to go pretty well.
(03-06-2018, 10:15 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: https://kitchener.ctvnews.ca/video?clipI...sc=gu9l1bN

CTV has posted the first in a multi-part series covering the ION project.

They of course, make highly misleading, to the point of lying statements about the dome, basically saying "it was for the workers", and suggesting it was a regional initiative, not a contractor initiative.

Yeah... it's as if keeping the water in the concrete from freezing wasn't important enough for a dome

Crews were leaf-blowing snow off the tracks over the Northfield bridge this morning, hopefully testing on this portion today?
Yeah, there are OnTrack crews at all the test track intersections, so I’m optimistc!
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »