Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
We were stopped at the light at Erb & Caroline and saw 2 vehicles in the left turn lane on Caroline.  The one that is supposed to be for buses only.  We had just said "oh look those guys are going to turn illegally" when they did.   Followed by a cop with lights flashing.  He got the second guy.

I still think they need to improve the street marking and signage.  they should put hash marks in the left lane on Caroline and paint buses only on the pavement.  They should at least add one of those "new" starburst signs by the no left turn sign. Not sure what they can do about the right turn lane other than add a bigger No Turn on Red sign.

(02-26-2018, 10:18 AM)NotStan Wrote: We were stopped at the light at Erb & Caroline and saw 2 vehicles in the left turn lane on Caroline.  The one that is supposed to be for buses only.  We had just said "oh look those guys are going to turn illegally" when they did.   Followed by a cop with lights flashing.  He got the second guy.

I still think they need to improve the street marking and signage.  they should put hash marks in the left lane on Caroline and paint buses only on the pavement.  They should at least add one of those "new" starburst signs by the no left turn sign. Not sure what they can do about the right turn lane other than add a bigger No Turn on Red sign.

The "no left turn" sign has been there for at least half a year.  Honestly, it's ridiculous they've waited this long to start enforcing laws.   I am so frustrated by this everywhere in the region, and if I was ever to get a ticket for something, say, riding on the sidewalk, I'd take it straight to court and argue with a straight face that by all appearances laws were not being enforced evenly and I cannot be held accountable for not knowing which laws are being enforced.
(02-26-2018, 10:18 AM)NotStan Wrote: I still think they need to improve the street marking and signage.  they should put hash marks in the left lane on Caroline and paint buses only on the pavement.  They should at least add one of those "new" starburst signs by the no left turn sign. Not sure what they can do about the right turn lane other than add a bigger No Turn on Red sign.

The last time I was driving on Caroline, I thought I saw a couple of those starburst NEW signs over NO LEFT TURN signs. Not the ones over the intersection, but a couple of extra ones in addition to the three that were already there. At this point, it's not ignorance or difficulty seeing signs, it's just plain not caring.
They have added big temporary orange signs at Father David Bauer telling you there's no left turn at Erb. The turn lane has a big diamond in it, and there are obvious no left turn signs. I have no sympathy for people who are that oblivious.
(02-26-2018, 09:32 AM)timc Wrote:
(02-26-2018, 08:34 AM)ijmorlan Wrote: There is already a no right on red for Caroline northbound at Erb. Of course as previously mentioned the signals make no sense there in the first place. Since straight through is completely forbidden (one-way southbound on Caroline) and left turns are supposed to be buses only, there should not be a regular green signal. Instead, there should be a green right arrow and a transit left that is activated only by buses (not by just any hunk of metal parking itself in the buses-only left turn lane).

I've thought about this, and I may be wrong, but in the Region you will only find a green right turn arrow when traffic may proceed without stopping, usually when there is a left turn arrow on the crossing street. I've tried to search for rules about right turn arrows, but results are elusive. It seems to me that it would be dangerous at Erb and Caroline because you would have drivers turning right into pedestrians.

Thank you, yes, you’re right. A right turn arrow would not work, unless pedestrians had a red. Now that you point it out, I suspect that is in the highway code: arrows imply exclusivity, whereas a regular green implies the need for turning vehicles to check for pedestrians and opposing traffic.

I still believe they should have separate right and left turn signals, with the left turns being marked for buses and giving a green only when there is a bus, but my arrow idea does not work here.
All the construction equipment for the track gauge repair on Northfield was gone when I drove past this evening.

(02-26-2018, 09:59 PM)Bob_McBob Wrote: All the construction equipment for the track gauge repair on Northfield was gone when I drove past this evening.

No doubt moving to Hayward and Courtland.  They were jackhammering out concrete on the inside (southbound) track curve when I drove by there this afternoon.  :-(
(02-27-2018, 06:26 PM)Canard Wrote: 11 trains still to come. Being held back by the Region - Bombardier will get ‘em to us as fast as we can take ‘em when we say go. They are not the critical path anymore.

For the benefit of others, 4 delivered, 1 sent back, leaving 3 on site and 11 to come (or come back) for a total of 14 vehicles.

Has anybody heard anything at all about what their burn-in strategy will be? Run “ghost” service for a week, or something else?
(02-27-2018, 10:46 PM)KevinT Wrote: No doubt moving to Hayward and Courtland.  They were jackhammering out concrete on the inside (southbound) track curve when I drove by there this afternoon.  :-(

One potential upshot of this for us: This means it'll be a heck of a lot easier to figure out where the test LRV is at - because it certainly won't be South of here!

Still - ridiculous we're going into like Month 2 of this now. Amazing how the local media love to slag on Bombardier every chance they get, but are completely ignorant toward the massive jackhammers bashing away at every curve on the line and raising some questions...

(not that I want them to - it's amazing this is so under the radar)
Whoo hoo, I heard on the radio the testing hit 50km just now!

(02-28-2018, 05:26 PM)Square Wrote: Whoo hoo, I heard on the radio the testing hit 50km just now!

was that today? there were no updates on the fb group Sad

however... i heard testing would happen all of this week
(02-28-2018, 01:08 PM)Canard Wrote:
(02-27-2018, 10:46 PM)KevinT Wrote: No doubt moving to Hayward and Courtland.  They were jackhammering out concrete on the inside (southbound) track curve when I drove by there this afternoon.  :-(

One potential upshot of this for us:  This means it'll be a heck of a lot easier to figure out where the test LRV is at - because it certainly won't be South of here!

Still - ridiculous we're going into like Month 2 of this now.  Amazing how the local media love to slag on Bombardier every chance they get, but are completely ignorant toward the massive jackhammers bashing away at every curve on the line and raising some questions...

(not that I want them to - it's amazing this is so under the radar)

Couldn’t they use the other track? Or are both tracks being fixed?

It’s weird what the media pick up on. I remember one time I was at the Dairy Queen in Westmount Place and happened to notice a pane of glass was broken. Then later it was on the CTV local news. Slow news day, I assume. Although the owner must have been caught off guard because he said something like “nothing to see here” rather than just “yeah, the glass got broken by …, no problem. Glass guy will be coming tomorrow”. But I don’t blame him. One doesn’t expect to have to put on the PR face after something as trivial as that.

Let’s hope the next big LRT news is “opening day will be X”.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »